An Open Letter To A Failed Friendship

An Open Letter To A Failed Friendship

Hakuna matata.
136

Have you ever had a friendship so pure that you felt like Timon and Pumbaa from "The Lion King"? Has there ever been a time in your life with a friend that you knew someone had to be watching over you two, putting you together like magnets while creating Kodak moment after Kodak moment? Well, we had that, my friend. At this point, I should say, "Stranger, we had that."

For a couple of years now, I have held all the anger that I feel towards you, inside. From time to time, I find myself wondering about you, wondering if you are happy, if you found your Timon or maybe your Pumbaa. However, I am done being angry towards you. I am done holding all of this in. The best part about it is, I forgive you.

You were a great friend majority of the time. I had few complaints about you, something that if you had really paid attention to who I am, you would have realized how rare that is. There are few people that I have a few complaints about. This is not an open letter about my complaints, but rather a letter to say thanks. Thanks for being there for the things that you were there for. Regardless if you still feel as if you have to hate me, you must admit that we had a lot of fun.

This is not a pathetic plea begging you to forgive me, but this is just an attempt at being honest. I highly doubt that you or anyone you really know will read this. If and when someone does read this, they will probably think this is about them without any regard to you or your feelings. This is also not an attempt to say sorry for being the friend that I am or for not being the friend that I could be. It's just time to let you know where I'm at.

Since our friendship ended, I have found people who love me. These people are quite possibly the best people I am ever going to meet in life. They are so inspirational and admirable in every single way imaginable. For the record, at one point in our short friendship together, you were in the same boat with them. I use to want to be just like you. Now, I have realized that I am who I am and that will not change. Surprisingly, when I quit being around you, I started to notice that I like who I am and that other people like who I am too.

I hope you have a wonderful life. If one day, you decide that you don't absolutely hate me, I will be here to talk. That, of course, would mean that you would have to admit, that it wasn't just my fault our friendship ended and I am not sure if you are capable of that. However, in the event that there is no one to talk to, I will be here because I know the person that you were, and the person that you can be.

A friend recently told me you were married and are expecting a baby in a few short months. While I may not be telling you in person, congratulations. I sincerely mean that. Being a mom is one of the best things that will ever happen to you. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do. You'll be great, children has always been your calling.

I also hope that in a few years, you can see a little bit of us in your children. If you have a daughter, I hope that her best friend reminds you of me. Regardless of how our friendship ended, regardless of how short it seemed, you were honestly one of the most wonderful people I could have ever met. You, unintentionally, taught me two of the greatest life lessons ever. I would have never learned them if I hadn't lost you as a friend.

First, perfect things will never last. I mean, even Vada had to say bye to Thomas J. That was the saddest movie to watch, but going through losing you as a friend, and still knowing you were going about life, was hard. I still think about you from time to time, and I honestly wish you nothing but the best.

The second life lesson is a little more valuable than the first. It's to never take things for granted, especially people. If anyone would have told me ten years ago, that our friendship would be over before we even graduated high school, I would have said they were crazy. You meant more to me than you will ever know. Maybe we could be friends later on in life, but until then, hakuna matata.