fects about freshman year of college

10 Facts No One Warns You About Your Freshman Year Of College

There’s a lot of things they leave out during freshman orientation.

635
Megan Bishop

College is a time full of various emotions. You're excited to be independent, but also nervous about being away from home. As a freshman, my college has already shaped me into a different person than the one everyone back home knew. Even less than a year of being away from home has been a growing experience, especially because they don't tell you everything you need to know as a freshman. While there are many things you'll have to figure out on your own, this list will give at least a few helpful suggestions as you begin your college journey.

1. You will get soooooo many free t-shirts

Don’t worry about not having enough tees, they will ALWAYS hand some out at different events.

2. You will NEVER be completely prepared for the weather

rain boots

Rain boots in the morning, and then it’s too hot for them in the afternoon.

3. You’ll meet some of your best friends in your classes

Go out of your comfort zone and start up a conversation. I met some of my best friends just by asking them to go get lunch after class!

4. There’s something new happening on campus every single day

You can never be bored, especially if you’re on a big campus.

5. Even the most inexpensive items somehow cost too much money

money

That $3 milk just isn't always worth it.

6. Your calves will be the most toned they’ve ever been

walking

After walking miles and miles every single day, your legs will look KILLER!

7. You will have so much more free time in your life

There will be all the time in the world to do what you want, but make sure you use at least some of it wisely.

8. Family dinners are now spent with your friends

Friends can be your family too, right?

9. You get strangely comfortable doing things alone

@universityofky

Eating a meal by yourself is actually really relaxing every now and then. You get time to think to yourself and get to know yourself better!

10. Calling your mom becomes a daily task

It doesn’t have to be for anything in particular either. Maybe you are just really excited about the iced coffee you got today!

Such a transitional time can be difficult to navigate at times, but college is a learning experience. You figure out what works and what doesn't, and you'll discover more about yourself than you ever have. Freshman year is nervewracking, but take advantage of it. Experience everything you can and indulge yourself in new groups. Taking advantage of the time you have is half the battle, and then the rest will come easy!