FUN FACTS ABOUT MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY

13 random Facts about Missouri State you didn't know

13 facts curated by a University Ambassador about the campus she loves.

2031
Morgan George
Morgan george

As a University Ambassador, or tour guide, we get to share these fun facts and secrets with incoming students but just incase you didn't know this already or wanted to brush up, here are some of my favorite Missouri State Facts.

1. It hasn't Always been Missouri State

You may hear some older people ask if you go to SMSU (Southwest Missouri State) because that was what it was before our newly named Missouri State University. Believe it or not, there was one more previous name, Fourth District Normal School, which isn't quite as grand as Missouri State.

2. The Oldest Object on Campus is...

A fire hydrant! Yes, you read that right. If you stand on the sidewalk between Cheek and Siceluff and walk towards Ellis, you will see a fire hydrant between some bushes and that, my friend, is the oldest thing on campus.

3. A Building and an Instrument

Ellis Hall, home to the music programs, duals as a musical instrument and building. When it was being redone recently, the construction workers wanted to remove the organ pipes but could not after finding out that they run under the whole building so they would have to cause even more damage to the building to remove them. So yes, it is an instrument.

4. The Original Buildings are Not What You Think

The original buildings on campus are Hill, Carrington, and Siceluff, not Glass and Strong like you might think.

5. Feddy Had a Pool?!

Yes, in the back where the huge patch of grass now lays, there was a pool many years ago. I guess campus got smart and realized that a pool behind a college dorm hall wasn't the best idea.

6. Pink is the new Grey

Take a minute and try to think of a building on campus being pink. Weird right? Well when Pumill Hall was being made, there was a campus wide vote out for what color to paint it and a bunch of students got together to write 'pink' in on the ballot and it won. Pumill was that nice pink color for a long time but now it matches the rest of the buildings on campus. There are some accents inside that hint to its past though, like the hot pink railings and chairs.

7. Crowd Surfing President

When the new student section was built for the football stadium, Clif Smart (our amazing president), said that he would crowd surf if we sold out the student section... so of course we did and he kept true to his word. Boomer also jumped out of a helicopter so there's that too.

8. JQH Hasn't Always Been Home to the Bears

JQH is known for the mens Bears basketball games, but did you know that McDonald Arena was the original home to the mens Bears basketball team? It was built way before JQH and held the basketball games until it was made. That is why there is a huge basketball court and bleachers inside.

9. We Have TWO Mascots

We have Boomer of course, and Growl! Growl is our mascot for the Ice Bears hockey team.

10. Famous Alumni in Sports

Google it, Missouri State has over 19 famous and professional athletes that have graduated from our campus.

11. We Represent A LOT of People

Missouri State proudly represents all 50 states and 88 countries around the world. Inside of Strong hall you can see an array of flags that represent all of the 88 home countries of our international students.

12. Students Get Super Involved

There are way over 300 organizations to join on campus, besides that, we also have past students to thank for the new rec center and Bear Line. Students took it upon themselves to create an initiative to create the Bear Line and the rec center. They taxed themselves just so we could have these amazing amenities today.

13. This is Obvious

Its obviously the best school.