How to be the bigger person

In The Face Of Adversity, Be The Bigger Person

No matter the battle, this choice will motivate you.

163

Starting from middle school, boys and girls alike are exposed to adversity, specifically in terms of drama. Whether it be in a friendship, relationship, or classroom it can be fabricated. False rumors, over-exaggeration, or even a simple miscommunication make up these ideas, and it can be solved in a matter of seconds. Throughout my life, I have experienced a fair share of dramatic situations, but I always made a point to resolve the issue. I apologized when it was necessary and talked through the problems that were remaining so I could find a positive resolution.

I discovered what it means to pick yourself up, take a breath, and be the bigger person.

Being the bigger person means rising above whatever your current problem is and choosing to be unaffected by it. By making this decision, you get the chance to redefine your self worth while gaining the confidence that will prepare you for potential future obstacles. This act will help reinforce who and what is most important to you, and will also change your perspective in life. My personal experience with being the bigger person in any situation has caused me to reflect on my values and priorities, and I can say with a genuine heart that my life has only improved for the better.

We should be lifting each other up, not tearing one another down.

The successes and accomplishments of others should not be intimidating or make us jealous or angry. Instead, we should congratulate our peers and keep working to reach our own goals. By working together, especially as women in this society, we are defying societal norms. The only way to beat the stigma is to band together and work on ourselves. No one is a threat to you unless you tell yourself they are, and no one controls your thoughts or feelings except for you. You are in charge of yourself. Whether you're fighting an internal battle filled with self-doubt or an external battle, remember how far you've come since this moment. Every obstacle you've conquered and struggle you've gotten through.

Do not give in. Instead, move on without a second thought.

You cannot be defeated unless you give up your power, which is why it is important to hold on to it. In this world filled with stress, you never know what someone else is going through. With this in mind, remember to be kind to one another and radiate that kindness upon those around you. If you find yourself struggling with a problem, remind yourself that you are above what you are experiencing. React with compassion, smile, and keep moving forward.