Facebook Is Using Their Creepy Stalking To Find Us Love

I will likely hand over my love life to them, because I give up.

254
Tatiana Gonzales

On May 1, Facebook announced their next big update: Facebook dating. Yes, even Facebook is concerned about our ability to socialize and find decent relationships. I guess they must have seen my recent comment about accepting my fate of dying alone with cats.

Based on the information that was given in the announcement, the dating profile will be separate from the normal profile and unable to be seen by friends, so that you do not have to deal with the shame of the awkward things you write in your bio. It is one thing having to create a normal Facebook page for people who I already know, it's another, much more cringy task to have to write a profile trying to make myself seem interesting to people who have no idea who I am. I have already failed at this on Tinder, I guess I am probably going to try again on Facebook.

What I like about this upcoming update is that it is optional and almost completely separate from my normal day-to-day actions on the social media site. When I open the application, I do not expect that I will be drowning in useless notifications that make me realize how desperate humanity is to match up and mate. I will be able to carry on with my personal life, while also being connected to men who only need to know my first name and what my interests are. It's the best of both worlds.

The update is not supposed to be equivalent to Tinder either. Facebook's goal is to create long-lasting relationships—also known as maybe finding me a hubby—not just hookups that many may regret the morning after. I do not know for sure how well this goal will work out, as Tinder and other dating websites and apps probably had the same goal in the beginning, but I like to believe that maybe this will be accomplished occasionally with the use of this new update. I like to think people will manipulate social media in a way that will benefit their life in the long term by finding people that will support them, instead of just using applications to find someone to satisfy their sexual cravings.

Even though I have faced many dating struggles in the past couple years, I do have some faith that maybe Facebook can help create happy, long-lasting romances. I mean, I am pretty sure they know more about me than I do at this point. I have seen the ads on my feed, I know they are watching.

If anyone can find me love, it will probably be Facebook.