The Best Advice I've Ever Received

The Best Advice I've Ever Received

​Extremes are easy; strive for balance.

12
The Best Advice I've Ever Received
Sebastian Gabriel

When considering the numerous pieces of advice that I’ve been given throughout my lifetime, only a single concept in particular stands out.

One word, infinite ways to apply it.

Balance.

That's the secret: restrained intemperance. The best of both worlds. A seamless equilibrium.

Balance is something that I’ve learned can never be fully achieved; it can only be striven for. Perfection is not a practical concept; therefore, striving for balance is the more realistic alternative.

No one’s life will ever be perfectly balanced at any given point. There will always be room for improvement on either side of the scale. Finding balance within your life will always be an ongoing process.

Life is a balancing act between rest and movement. Education and action. Your mind and your heart.

Be kind, but don’t let people abuse you. Trust but do not be deceived. Be content but never stop trying to improve yourself. Never let success get to your head, but never let failure go to your heart.

Be humble, but never dishonor your ambitious soul. Balance your time. Balance the people you give your time to. Time is so expensive, and you can never get that wasted time back. So balance where you go, and who you go with, and when you go.

Every other piece of advice I’ve ever received goes back to the concept of balance. The good and the bad, the highs and the lows. Balance is the most superlative word to live by. It unknowingly sums up the reasoning behind both your hungers and your misfortunes.

Balance is the intention for everything and the key to anything. It no longer strikes me as a piece of advice, but rather an ideal lifestyle pointed for wholesome congruence.

The greatest way of living is to persistently manage your balance board. Aim to keep all ends of the spectrum satisfied, and you will find yourself continuously looking to improve your life.

What is bliss without burden? What is attainment without failure? What is a victory without a loss? What is health without illness? You have to experience each if you are to appreciate the other.

There is always going to be agony. It’s how you search for your light when the darkness is domineering.

It’s about how you administer it. What do you do when grace has been obscured? How do you balance yourself?