explore your hometown
Life Stages

When It Feels Like You've Done Everything There Is To Do In Your Hometown

Here are a few ways to help you find some excitement.

339
small town usa

I've lived in the same town for 18 years. While I longed to get out of it, for the time being, I had to make the best of it. When you put a little effort in, you'll discover that your hometown has so much more to offer than you thought.

1. Make Yelp your best friend.

Seriously, Yelp is the place to go when it comes to finding out about places you didn't know existed. I discovered another coffee shop and a total hole-in-the-wall tea shop through the app, as well as other places I wouldn't have ever known about.

2. Revisit your favorite pastimes.

c1.staticflickr.com

When I was a kid, the skating rink used to be the place to go every weekend. I haven't been back in years. Sometimes taking a trip down memory lane (or skating down it) is the way to remember all the fun times you've had in the town that raised you.

3. Explore some uncharted territories.

upload.wikimedia.org

As kids in my town grow up and outgrow their skates, abandoned ship ports and houses become the new spot to hang out. Am I endorsing trespassing for the sake of new experiences? Slightly. Will it be worth it? Yes.

4. Visit surrounding towns.

I know this is about enjoying your hometown, but sometimes it helps to push the borders a little bit and see the towns around you. Sometimes fun can be right around the corner in a neighborhood city.

5. Find events going on in town.

A lot of restaurants and coffee shops have live music on the weekends or might have concerts and events going on downtown! Nowadays, all it takes is a quick google or facebook search to discover events going on near you.