The Pros To Being An Exploratory Major

The Pros To Being An Exploratory Major

Being an exploratory major may prove to have more benefits than you originally thought.

1300
The Pros To Being An Exploratory Major
Lifehacker.com

As a college freshman, choosing a major can be one of the hardest tasks a student may have to make and trying to do so right off the bat can be very challenging. Although many consider Exploratory majors as "confused" or "lost" individuals, entering college without declaring a major may offer more advantages than what is often assumed.

Exploratory students often save more money than students who declare majors early on.

Students who declare majors instantly begin taking pre-requisite courses for their dream major their first semester in college. That's fine and dandy if that major is the one you will stick with for your undergraduate degree. However, the majority of students change their major several times during their first two years of college because they are still unsure of themselves and their futures. By declaring major after major, students take pre-requisite courses and end up wasting credit hours. That translates into wasting an abundance of money, which nobody wants to do.

Helpful connections can be made easily via Exploratory Advisers.

Not to say that every major does not offer helpful advisers, but those within the Exploratory department are able to connect students with a wider range of contacts as they do not focus on one subject area. Because of this, Exploratory advisers offer more resources and are able to help guide students better than many others would.

Excess credit hours are more of an issue for degree-declaring students than they are for Exploratory students.

Excess credit hours are very scary to think about. Being over-charged because you've taken too many classes is something that many struggle with. If you waste credit hours on pre-requisite classes you don't end up using, excess credit hours may be a problem you eventually face. Being an exploratory major can help students avoid excess credit hours by focusing their schedules on classes that both complete requirements while also allowing the exploration of majors.

Exploratory majors are given the opportunity to explore different subjects and career options.

Yes, this is the most obvious edge being an Exploratory major gives to students. Regardless of whether or not you have your heart set on a major or if you're totally unsure, exploratory programs allow students to test out different areas without many repercussions if the classes aren't a right fit. Exploratory programs provide young adults with the opportunity to research and examine a variety of fields without committing to one too early.

Although going into college with a major may give students the illusion of being prepared and grown up, it is fair to say that the "confused" and the "lost" are just as mature and adjusted. Exploratory programs, although they may be often overlooked, offer a plethora of advantages for students and are more valuable the deeper they are explored.