Explaining the Appeal of Live Music

Explaining the Appeal of Live Music

For those who just don't get it.

696
Explaining the Appeal of Live Music

For a lot of people, music is everything. I myself can't imagine my life without music, whether it got me through a hard time, pumped me up during a workout, or calmed me down before a test. Although lots of people listen to music on their phones, etc., many don't engage in the art of live music. Live music is a genre of its own, and each show is an experience. I've written many an article about live music, but I think it's an important aspect of music and form of art that is often under appreciated. As a concert junkie, I'll take it upon myself to explain the appeal of live music.

The beauty of live music is that no two concerts are alike. Even if the artist plays the same set list twice in a row, there is always some variation. The crowd changes, the mood of the performer changes, and the arena changes. There are so many hidden factors that go into concerts that allow each show to be a unique experience. This is why I like to think of concerts as art pieces-- it's performance art.

Live music also depends on the audience's participation. A show can vastly differ from another based on the fan base and the size of the city. I love going to multiple shows on one artist's tour. I get to see the same act two different times, with different crowds and different setlist. Especially for interactive performers, it's cool to see how each show differs depending on what the audience wants to hear and how in favor of the artist they are.

When listening to music, we can imagine what we think that artist/performer is like in our heads based on how much we like them, but live music allows the chance to really get to know that artist personally. We get to see what they like to wear, how they speak, their mannerisms, and the songs they like to perform. No matter how big the concert venue, this makes it an intimate experience. A concert can be seen as a learning experience about that artist and their music.

A concert is a fun thing to go to with family and friends. If you like live music, like me, you'll go to any show no matter who is performing just to hear an artist play. Watching others play instruments is truly an appreciation of a talent I wish I had. You can learn a lot about a person based on what kind of music they like and if they like live music. People who like live music are usually pretty adventurous, and really enjoy the experience of getting dressed up and going out to a concert as opposed to simply listening to music while driving or studying. Concerts aren't always cheap, but they provide priceless experiences that you will remember for life, whether you videotaped the whole thing or not.