I shouldn't have to explain myself but here's an explanation

Even Though I Feel Like I Shouldn't Explain My Choices, Here I Am Explaining My Choices

Making big life choices can make you feel like you have to explain them over and over.

126
swimming in the pool
Reagan Kulka

Ever since I was in ninth grade and my sister toured Boise State University I have wanted to attend there. I wanted to leave Minnesota and start out somewhere new. I do not regret my decision of attending Boise State for the past two years. I have met some incredible people and make some unforgettable memories. So why am I leaving? Well, in complete honesty, I am not happy here. I feel that I am not doing the best that I can be doing and for that reason, I have decided to make a change. I don't feel as though the past two years have been wasted.

In fact, it's the exact opposite. I look at the past two years as a learning experience. I moved away from home and lived on my own for two years. You learn a lot in two years, and what I learned was that the plan I made for myself needed some changes. There is nothing bad I can say about BSU. It's a wonderful school with so many opportunities but I just did not find myself succeeding there. It was not a good fit for me, and that took a long time for me to accept. Now that I have come to terms with it, I am much happier and looking forward to what the future brings for me.

Another change that I have made is that I have decided to stop studying psychology. Don't get me wrong, the topic will always be very interesting to me, but it is not something I can see myself doing in the long run. More importantly, it is not something I can see myself enjoying every day. That is why I have decided to study criminal justice for a semester and then apply to the law program at my new school. Through the law program, I will be studying and training to become a police officer. I feel as though this is a much better option for me. I will be able to actively make changes in peoples lives, With all of the bad publicity surrounding law enforcement I aim to be one of the good ones, someone to make a difference and to protect those who need it, I understand that so many people have a negative view of police officers and I understand that, however, I wasn't to be someone who can help protect and serve the community.

In all honesty, I don't care what people have to say about my choices. This is something that I am excited for, and if you respect me as a person than I hope you can respect my decisions. I want to serve my country in the best way possible and make it a safe place to live. I hope that everyone can understand my reasoning as to why I have made this decision but if you can't I understand, although I hope that one day we can sit down and talk about your vies towards my choice.

I come from a military family, and I have thought long and hard about taking the military route myself but it is not something that I see for myself, this however is. I want to protect. I want to serve. I am excited about my future in law enforcement and I hope that you can be excited for me too. I understand the dangers that come with the job but that is something I have accepted and am willing to risk my life for. I am not scared for myself on the job, I am scared for my family because if I was in their shoes I know I would be terrified. I just hope that the proud outweighs the fear because I truly do want my family and loved ones to be proud of me.

Even though I know I don't have to explain myself I felt the need to. I feel as though I need to let others know why I am making the choices I am. I am making them for myself so that I can be proud of what I do. I am taking these steps to my future because this is something I truly want to do and I hope that can be enough for you.