I Did It for the Insta: Experiences Shouldn't Only Be "Insta-Worthy"

It's too easy to ruin experiences by thinking of ways to share them on social media.

167

Ah yes, the infamous "insta-worthy" pic you plan out in your head and base all of your life events around. Kim Kardashian reminds us every day that the only reason we even go on vacations, put on cute outfits, make food or do everyday things is, in fact, to put up a picture on Instagram of it.

We're all guilty of doing this, and if you think otherwise, you're wrong or don't have social media.

Some classic examples of this are when you're approaching a vacation and thinking of the posing pics you'll take with your BFF on the beach. Before you bake a cake, you think of what lighting it would look best in for an Insta pic. When you're on your way to hike a mountain or do something outdoorsy, you spend the whole car ride thinking of a clever caption. You pick out an outfit because you're having a selfie-worthy hair day.

If you have done any of the above things, you have deliberately done something for an Insta. This isn't a bad thing, however it is a bad thing when every single thing you do is staged for social media. A more recent, more disturbing, example is when parenting is broadcasted on social media.

Times have definitely changed when a child misbehaves and instead of scolding them, a parent makes them do it again so they can take a video and post it to Facebook or Instagram.

This happened recently when Jessie James Decker's one-year old daughter was caught red-handed with a crayon in her hand and drawing all over the wall. Now don't get me wrong, I love Jessie James Decker and her perfect family, but this social media posting is parenting done all wrong. Instead of stopping her daughter when she first sees her doing something wrong, she gets her camera ready for this "insta-worthy" moment, if you will, and tells her to stop on camera.

Social media is a great tool, but it definitely blinds us to a lot of experiences. When we're so focused on sharing moments with people on the Internet, we forget to actually truly experience these moments.

I've 100 percent been guilty of this in the past. Whether it be a family vacation, date nights with my boyfriend or a night out with friends, I always find myself thinking of how I can share this on social media.

Here's something new I've been trying, it's called put down the phone. It's hard in our generation, but it shouldn't be. Take lots of pictures, but share moments at a later date. Enjoy your experiences, because quite frankly, your followers don't really care that much.

Share your moments, but don't let it ruin your moments!