10 Things You Will Experience During Your First Semester

10 Relatable Things That Are Bound To Happen During Your First Semester Of College

Be prepared to be locked out of your dorm room and be sick 24/7!

9139
Photo By Dana LeBron

I asked ten college students what they went through during their first semester of college and this is what they had to say. Even though these things seem bad, they are truly what make the freshman experience what it is! One piece of advice: always have EmergenC and DayQuil fully stocked!

1. If Anyone On Your Floor Gets Sick, So Will You

GIPHY

There's no surprise that any and every student will get sick at one point during their first semester at college. If you're living in a dorm, you will definitely get sick. Always have EmergenC and DayQuil fully stocked!

2. Having The Fire Alarm Go Off In The Middle Of The Night

GIPHY

There is seriously nothing worse than having the fire alarm go off when you're in the middle of the best sleep of your life. Just be prepared at all times and actually leave your dorm, you'll get in A LOT of trouble if the Fire Department sees that you chose to not leave your room!

3. Pull An All Nighter

GIPHY

Whether it's staying up to do an assignment that you procrastinated for waaay too long or you're just hanging out with your friends, you will pull an all-nighter. The best way to achieve an all-nighter? CAFFEINE!

4. The 'Freshman 15' Is So Real

GIPHY

Sadly, the Freshman 15 is SO real. Between the unlimited dining hall visits and the inability to cook your own meals, this is bound to happen. And yes, I was one of those freshmen that gained the 15 pounds, but you're able to lose it during the summer or sophomore year so don't fret!

5. Make 'Fake' Friends

GIPHY

You're bound to meet people that wind up not being your friend for the long run but that's okay! It wasn't meant to be and I'm sure it was fun while it lasted! Those friendships will be there forever, just no for the long haul.

6. Get Locked Out Of Your Dorm

GIPHY

This will happen ALL THE TIME! Not all dorm rooms lock automatically, but a lot of them do. The worst possible thing is if you get locked out when you go to take a shower in the bathroom, so please, for the love of god, remember your keys because you will never be more embarrassed!

7. Cry Because You Miss Home & Home-Cooked Meals

GIPHY

You tend to get homesick a lot during your first semester. During this time you most likely haven't made close relationships and you miss your high school friends and your mom A LOT. But don't worry you'll get through it and you'll find your ride-or-die's in no time!

8. Your RA Not Busting You When They Totally Should Have

GIPHY

Pray that you have a cool RA! And do everything in your power to be on their good side because they have the ability to ruin your college career sooo quickly. Just be smart and responsible. Honestly, just do stuff in any other dorm besides your own.

9. Spend Hundreds Of Dollars Ordering Books From The University Bookstore And Not Amazon

GIPHY

This is a mistake that everyone is bound to make. Before you order any textbooks, go to your first class and read the syllabus! Many times textbooks are optional and not really necessary for the course. Also, be sure to check Amazon because their prices are SO much better and you have the ability to rent as well. Renting a textbook will save you hundreds, trust me.

10. Go Out The Night Before An 8:00 AM Class

GIPHY

You realize once you get to college that people will go out every night, not just weekends. AND on top of that, people do not start going out until at least 10:00 pm, so this is definitely something to prepare yourself for! I'm a grandma and going out that late is a struggle in a half, but once you're out you'll have fun and most likely forget what time it is anyways.