What To Expect When You Get Your Faced Waxed, Including Pain

Things to know before you go.

731
Bruce Mars

Back in September, I waxed my face for the first time and I loved it. I've gotten my eyebrows and upper lip waxed countless times, but I was curious how waxing my whole face would feel and I decided to give it a try. I was a little hesitant at first because let's face it — waxing hurts, I don't care what anyone says.

But for me, the pros definitely outweigh the cons and I'm a firm believer that a little bit of pain is worth the smooth skin you're left with.

If you're considering waxing your face for the first time, here's a few things to keep in mind.

1. Yes, it hurts.

Anyone who says waxing doesn't hurt (probably the same people who won't admit that getting a tattoo hurts) is lying. It's hot wax pulled off your skin with a cloth, it's going to hurt. That being said, it IS a very quick stinging sensation that doesn't linger.

If you have a low pain tolerance, I'd say skip waxing your face -- especially if you are doing the sideburns area. I was a little surprised at how much that area hurt for a few seconds but when you think how much thicker the hair is in that area, it makes sense.

2. It may irritate your skin.

Some redness is to be expected when you get your face waxed and (normally) isn't cause for concern. However, I've noticed that every time I've gotten it done (three times from September until now), I've gotten a few more zits than normal around my sideburns area. I'm not exactly sure why because I usually have pretty clear skin, save for the occasional blemish around that special time of the month.

My best guess is that when you get your face waxed, your pores are open and susceptible to a variety of things getting in there including makeup, oil, and just general pollutants in the air. If you're prone to breakouts, I would suggest you skip waxing your face or at the very least, ask your esthetician for some tips on how to minimize the less desirable effects.

3. Do your research beforehand.

And just reading this article doesn't count. Hot wax on your face is kind of a big deal and not something you want to take lightly. Research the kind of reactions you can have and MOST IMPORTANTLY, find a certified esthetician in your area and read the reviews people have left.

The first person I went to was just the first person I saw in my area and I was less than impressed. There were spots that she missed and she completely ignored my sideburns area which I specifically asked for. The second person I went to (who I still use now) is SO much better and I've been extremely pleased with the results.

Again, if you don't want any surprises, please do your research.

4. It could make pre-existing conditions worse.

When I went to get my face waxed for the first time, the esthetician warned me that pulling the skin with the wax/cloth could possibly cause wrinkles or make existing ones worse. I wasn't too concerned because I have pretty good skin but I have to say, it did make that little line between my eyebrows (that annoying one you get when you make a WTF? face) more noticeable. It's not bad to the point that I'm going to stop, but it's definitely there.

However, waxing has made my makeup go on so much smoother and creates a more blended look, so I'm willing to overlook that little wrinkle. If you're not, you might want to pass. Also, people who have rosacea, acne, or are prone to ingrown hairs might experience an increase in their symptoms if they wax and should probably consider other hair-removal options.

5. The hair re-growth time varies

I'd love to tell you that if you wax your face, you'll enjoy a hairless face for the next month or so. That's unfortunately not the case and the time it takes for your hair to start growing back in depends on a number of factors. If you're Italian and prone to being a little more hairy like me, expect it to grow back the next day. KIDDING! I would say I start to notice hair re-growth in about two weeks, which is average as most people notice it growing back in about two to eight weeks.

The good news is that your hair DOES NOT grow back thicker. It might seem like it because the ends are now blunt instead of tapering like they used to, but I've actually noticed the hair that's growing back in is finer and there's less of it overall. If you're looking for a more long-term solution for the hair on your face, you might want to consider laser hair removal.

Keeping these tips in mind should help alleviate some anxiety you may be feeling if you're considering waxing your face. However, if you're still nervous, try getting some recommendations from your friends who have done or speaking to a dermatologist first. I promise the baby smooth skin and perfect makeup application you'll get after waxing will make the whole process worthwhile!