5 Things To Expect When You Adopt A Senior Dog

5 'Pawfect' Things That'll DEFINITELY Happen When You Rescue A Senior Dog

There's nothing better.

27
Personal Photo

I can't guarantee this is applicable to all senior rescue dogs, I'm just speaking from personal experience. Here are five things that happened when I rescued a senior dog.

1. They will always be more than excited to see you.

From the time you walk into the door until the time you leave the next morning, your older rescue will be completely and wholeheartedly into your business. This means lots of excited (half) jumps, since getting all their paws off the ground is starting to get harder.

2. Kisses are a must.

No ifs or buts — this dog will love you till the very end and they just want to show you how much they love you! I'm not saying you have to let them lick you in the face or anything (unless you're into that, no judgment), but they will try to sneak one here and there.

3. They are probably gonna eat more food than the average dog.

If your dog came from a place where food was scarce, or even if they were super well fed, being a rescue means they may be a little greedier when it comes to their food. This also means that treats are essential to their diet! Never forget the treats!

4.  They might have a few quirks.

Most rescue dogs come with a few tiny issues, whether it's peeing in the house, being food-aggressive, dog-aggressive, or something not as friendly. As a dog owner, it's your responsibility to love them regardless and endlessly through this. They may have a traumatic past that led to these issues, try to stay calm and maybe rehabilitate.

5. They are going to love you more than anything in the world.

This may go for all dogs, but especially older rescues. There is something about the way they lay their head on your lap. It's something in the snoring at night, the hugs, or the running-walks that demonstrate a type of love that is unbreakable.

Those are five things I know to be true of older rescue dogs!