An Exclusive Interview With DJ/Producer, Lösh

Get to know the musical talent behind StoryTime label.

153
löshmusic

Aleks, also known as Lösh, is a DJ/producer based in Seattle, WA. He also owns his own label, StoryTime, that is based in Seattle. How cool is that? Not only does he produce his own music but he helps other artists have their music heard as well.

His new EP, Minimus, is being released September 18. Lookout, world! This young, talented artist is on his way to shine and you don't want to miss it. To support him and see his adventures follow him on Twitter, Soundcloud, Facebook, Instagram and check out his website for more information.

"When did you first start producing music and who/what inspired you?"

Lösh: "I’ve been producing for awhile, like at least seven or eight years, but my early stuff was all for fun, just messing around with some instruments and recording stuff in Mixcraft. I’d say in the past year and a half I really became focused and started pursuing music seriously.

I’m honestly just inspired by music that makes me feel something, like happiness or sadness or any emotion really. I remember one of the first electronic groups that really caught my interest was Pendulum- their sounds were so synth heavy but jammed like a rock band, which was a really cool blend to get into at the time."

"What shows have you played so far (music festivals, clubs, etc.)? Any favorite city in particular?"

Lösh: "I've had a few really great shows at Foundation Nightclub in Seattle. I always drop new projects when I play there and people get down with it, plus the team is really rad. Avalon Hollywood was also a blast; my first time playing there was a few months ago, and the venue is really beautiful.

I’m stoked to play there again in October! I also had a chance to play Bumbershoot Music Festival in 2016, on the silent disco stage which was a really unique experience. I haven't really had a chance to play in too many cities, so I can’t for sure say which one is the best, but Seattle is home, and I love the people."

"If you had the opportunity to collaborate with any artist, who would it be and why?"

Lösh: "Damn, there are so many people I would want to collaborate with! If I had to pick the first three that come to mind they would be Diplo, Travis Scott, and Minnesota. Diplo has worked on so many records over the years on both a creative and technical level, I would just love to be in a studio with him and see his approach.

I’ve heard Travis Scott is a madman when it comes to vocal processing, which is something I’ve sort of struggled with and want to improve. Minnesota has always been a favorite when it comes to arrangement, I think the first track from him that really got me was Stardust. He also just seems like a chill dude in general, I got to meet him when he came through Foundation earlier in the year."

"Can you describe what it's like to travel around and play for different crowds? What feelings do you get?"

Lösh: "Well, the extent of my traveling is like taking a Lyft across town to one of the clubs, or the occasional train/flight to LA or Portland. There’s a chance I’ll be doing some overseas stuff in the next six months or so, which would be really rad.

I do get nervous sometimes when I play for new crowds, but that's like what makes it so much fun in the end, because even if its a good or bad experience, we came together and shared in the moment. If you know my songs, cool. If you don’t know my songs, cool too, we’ll all get down to the music and make some memories.

"

"Can you talk about the background of your new song?"

Lösh: "The EP is titled Minimus, because of the tracks somewhat simple arrangement and darker, sort of minimal vibes. The majority of the shows I’ve played so far have been in clubs, so my music naturally has shifted in that direction.

One of the songs, Vibe, actually has a sample of a lamp rocking on a table because when I was listening to the mix down, I was super tired and hadn't slept in a day or two for whatever reason, and I bumped into my table which caused a lamp to wobble in time with the beat. I was like really tripped out at first because I didn't recall that being in the song, so once I figured out what it was, I recorded it and added it to the track. The track plays out well in the club!"

"When did you become interested in starting your own record label?"

Lösh: "StoryTime is a record label we started back in 2013. A few friends and I were jamming and we got into a discussion about how artists could be identified through their work with music, regardless of the genre or style.

Like, you could hear the newer Incubus album and know that Skrillex produced it, just from the way it’s been produced. I think that’s super rad, and so we wanted to push those kinds of artists out into the world, and have a way for people to learn more about them. We spent some times doing shows in a couple cities, and we also do guest DJ mixes/interviews on our Soundcloud. We’ve done single releases for artists and I’m releasing my Minimus EP on it as well."

"Where is StoryTime located? How many clients do you have?"

Lösh: "It’s based in Seattle. I lived in Portland at the time when it started but now it's mainly in Seattle. We're doing a bunch of mixes and interviews right now, so far we've had over thirty producers/DJs.

Our last couple were DJ Yupp, and Nostaglix. Yupp is a good friend of mine, who’s currently touring Asia and I met Nostalgix when she played at Paradiso Festival earlier this year.

"

"What do you hope for the future?"

Lösh: "For myself, as an artist, I just want to keep making more music with good people. It’s obviously my goal to be able to live purely off of music, but I'm not necessarily making that the conscious point of the art, if you know what I mean.

It’s something I’m working towards but I don’t define that as my “end goal” or whatever. For StoryTime, I want to keep working with awesome people and sharing good music that deserves to be heard. I’d like to do more shows with the label down the road and maybe some clothing line stuff if possible!"