The Pros And Cons Of Being An Art Major

The Pros And Cons Of Being An Art Major

To be or not to be an art major?

9672
The Pros And Cons Of Being An Art Major
Mic

I may be a little biased, but art is the best thing anybody could every major in. I mean in what other major do you get to color, paint, sculpt, etc. throughout your four years? Yes, there are some downfalls of being an art major, but they are far outweighed by the benefits. Here are six pros and six cons of being an art major.

1. PRO: Getting new supplies every semester!

Colored pencils, markers, pens, paints, bristol board. All the goods.

2. CON: Supplies are bloody expensive.

It's like they forget we're college students or something.

3. PRO: Homework assignments are to build sculptures, photoshop people, draw, etc.

It is so fun that it doesn't even feel like work!

4. CON: It's difficult to come up with original ideas after doing dozens and dozens of projects.

You will think you have come up with a new idea, but then you realize you did something very similar to it towards the beginning of the semester.

5. PRO: During class you get hours to yourself to work on your own art.

You can work on your projects...or you can procrastinate and fool around in your sketchbook for the whole class.

6. CON: You're forced to stay in the studio for 2-3 (or even more) hours at a time for a class period.

It can feel like we are locked in prison at times.

7. PRO: You get to be inspired by the work of those around you.

But don't get too inspired because then your artwork will be a splitting image of theirs. Don't plagiarize kids.

8. CON:You will always be comparing your work to the work of others.

You think your art looks so good, but when you look at someone else's, you want to immediately rip yours in to shreds and throw it into a fire.

9. PRO: There is really no right or wrong way to do an assignment or project.

I mean you have to meet the criteria, but besides that you are pretty much free to do whatever.

10. CON: With no right or wrong way to do an assignment, professors pick favorites.

It doesn't matter if your art is original or unique in its style. They will almost always favor the kid who does the stereotypical realism style.

11. PRO: There is no such thing as "perfect" when it comes to art.

I mean you are bound to get a smudge here and there.

12. CON: Though your professors stress that there is no such thing as "perfection", that is the exact thing they expect.

It sounds a bit hypocritical, doesn't it?