Everything You Need To Know On The Controversial Closing Of Disney's Splash Mountain

My, oh my, what a wonderful change.

10

If you haven't heard the news, the Walt Disney Company has made the executive decision to eradicate both the Walt Disney World Orlando and Disneyland California Splash Mountain rides due to political incorrectness. I'm sure you're asking yourself, well, how is a ride about a rabbit and a scary fox politically incorrect?

Well, the whole theming of Splash Mountain is based of the 1946 Disney movie Song of the South. This movie is widely known as an extremely racist and controversial movie, and is virtually impossible to find in stores, or anywhere, to be frank. Thanks to the growth of the Black Lives Matter movement lately, a lot of things and people have been "cancelled" due to past allegations of racism, and the beloved Splash Mountain is not immune.

Many people began to speak out and petition on the change or removal of Splash Mountain. Many recommended they change it to a Princess and the Frog attraction, since Tiana, the only black princess, has little to no representation in the parks. Many believed Disney would not listen to the protests due to Splash Mountain being a classic staple in the parks. But, on June 25, 2020, Walt Disney Company announced that they actually would be retheming Splash Mountain into a Princess and the Frog attraction.

I, for one, was extremely conflicted at this news. Splash Mountain had been one of my favorite rides since childhood, but after educating myself on all its history, it left me unsettled. I am sad to see Splash Mountain go, but I am aware that it is truly time for change. I, and my fellow Disney fans, and ecstatic for the Princess and the Frog attraction, and the concept art looks absolutely gorgeous. I am really proud of Disney for making this decision and I think this simple action speaks volumes about the company.