Everything You Need To Know About Herpes

Breaking stigma and bringing facts.

828
Anemone123

Everyone wants to talk about sex until it becomes serious. The social stigma concerning sex and sexually transmitted diseases is crippling the public. Due to lack of sexual education, many people are suffering from STDs and their side effects. Sadly, STIs are associated with words like “dirty” and “disgusting," making communication about sex difficult.

The problem is that many people have sex without protection and without the understanding of intimacy and trust. According to, the New York Post article “Millennials Aren’t Wearing Condoms Anymore," even when “STIs treatment is becoming resistant” and diseases like chlamydia and gonorrhea are on the rise, many people are opting out of condoms and taking a “casual” and “chill” approach to.

Blindly “trusting” their partners without knowing about their sexual history. Celebrities like Charlie Sheen and Magic Johnson are evidence that HIV is no longer a “death sentence” (so condoms and contraceptives are an afterthought).

In recent news, another celebrity has been caught in an STD scandal. Singer Usher Raymond IV known for his single Yeah! and OMG is in the center of sexual controversy. A few weeks ago, TMZ came out with a story claiming the pop icon infected a woman with herpes in 2012.

The scandal was settled in court for 1.1 million dollars. The woman accused Usher of “purposefully and continuously” having unprotected sex with her while he knowingly had herpes. This story has caused a social media frenzy. People are spreading false information about herpes and herpes prevention.

According to the CDC, 1 out of 6 Americans between the ages 14-49 has genital herpes. That means herpes is one of the most common STDs. Because there is a ton of false information about the virus, below is everything you need know about herpes.

1. Herpes has been around for a long time. In fact, Shakespeare referenced the virus in his play, Romeo and Juliet.

2. There are two types of Herpes strains. HSV-1 is found near the mouth and causes cold sores, which resemble canker sores. HSV-2 is an outbreak that is from some type of sexual contact involving the genitalia.

3. Herpes can spread playing contact sports such as wrestling and rugby. It is recommended to not drink after other people if an open sore is present on the lip.

4. You can contract HSV-2 from HSV-1 through oral sex.

5. You can contract herpes whether you have a latex condom or not. Unlike other sexually transmitted diseases, herpes spreads via skin-on-skin contact. Still, safe sex or no sex is the best sex.

6. HSV-2 outbreaks can be around the genitalia, groin, thigh area, and buttocks.

7. The initial outbreak is the most painful. It can occur once a month or once every three months the first year.

8. After the first year, outbreaks become less frequent and are less painful.

9. Outbreaks are trigged by certain types of food, high-stress levels and mood swings.

10. You can spread herpes even when there is no visible outbreak, often called viral shedding.

11. There is no known cure for herpes.

12. Sores resemble ulcers and break open 2 days after they appear. An outbreak can last for 3 weeks.

13. Acyclovir and Valacyclovir are antiviral medications used to suppress and contain the disease.

14. Little known fact, herpes attacks the nervous system.

15. Most people do not know they have it.

16. Vaccinations for the virus are slow findings because the disease lays dormant then comes to the surface.

17. Pregnant women can pass herpes on to their child through birth canal

18. Herpes does not discriminate. You can get herpes regardless of how many partners you have had.

19. Usually, a doctor can determine you have herpes by looking at a sore and confirm with a culture test. Herpes can be mistaken for ingrown hairs, sensitive skins, and allergies and vice versa.

20. The Western blot is the most accurate Herpes test in the world only available at the University of Washington.

21. You can get tested for herpes through blood test or culture test. For the culture test, a sore has to be present.

22. According to many health professionals, many doctors do not recommend testing unless you have an active sore present.

23. Herpes is said to hurt you more emotionally than physically.

24. Standard STD testing do not test for herpes. You must specifically ask for an HSV test.

25. It’s highly unlikely you can contract herpes from a toilet seat.

26. GET TESTED – I got tested for herpes 6/12/2016. I tested negative for my test associated with HSV. Before I requested a test, a medical professional sent me this before testing on my DUKE MY CHART:

I don't recommend HSV test. There is no way to differentiate between genital herpes and oral herpes (cold sores) based on the blood test. And about 80% of us have had cold sores – oral herpes – so the majority of us will have a positive test. The only way to truly know if you have genital herpes is to swab an active sore.

In closing, the stigma surround herpes is more harmful than the disease itself. The fear of the virus is it is incurable not that it is dangerous. With treatment, herpes can lay dormant for many years.

Doctors and medical professionals have a nonchalant attitude concerning herpes making those who have the virus feel helpless and lost. Although there is no cure, herpes can be treated and people can find happiness. We must break down stigma to treat and eradicate STDs and STIs.

Herpes support websites/blogs/and organization.

Herpblr on Tumblr

National Herpes Hotline: (919) 361-8488

America Herpes Foundation