A Letter To My Parents

A Letter To My Parents

Thank you for everything you have taught me.

6
A Letter To My Parents
Liz Smorse

Dear Mom and Dad,

Thank you. Thank you for teaching me how to protect myself. Thank you for always picking me up when I fall. Thank you for believing in me when I need it most.

I remember the day I started kindergarten. I had recently been diagnosed with a life-threatening allergy. The only thoughts floating through my budding mind should have related to which color of crayons I needed to complete my doodle-masterpieces. Instead, you told me that I had to be extra careful. This was my first chance to be truly responsible. To show you what you taught me. I knew that it was vitally important that I carry around my epi-pen and tell everyone “I cannot eat nuts.” This was the first time you had to let me be on my own. You were scared. But you taught me well, and I was ready.

You have been the biggest part of my life since day one. We have gone through everything together. You taught me how to ride my bike, how to drive my car and how to fix my many resulting mistakes. When I first rode my two-wheel bike in the empty parking lot near our house, you cheered. You knew I could do it. But still, you prayed that I would never fall. When I passed my driver’s test, you were thrilled! You no longer had to cart me around day to day. However, that excitement was almost immediately replaced with the constant fear for my safety.

Then, I began to think about college. Thoughts were flying around in my head at 100 miles a minute. Where did I want to go? Did I want to stay in-state or leave everything I’d ever known, to start over? What did I want to major in? I never liked math or science in high school, but you always told me to keep an open mind, to not give up when things get hard. How was I going to survive college without you by my side, giving me advice and reassurance like this? You tagged along for what seemed like hundreds of college tours, waiting for my reaction before you offered your own. The idea of me leaving for college still seemed so far away. When I toured my future school, I knew it was the perfect fit. I couldn’t wait for you both to see it, to be as excited as I was. After all, I was starting a new phase of my life! But for you, that meant I was not going to be around anymore.

And then one day, it all became real. You drove me 500 miles away from my home. I was so eager to start my new life, to make new friends. But that didn’t mean that I was going to forget where I came from and who got me where I am today. You.

Thank you. You have never stopped believing in me, even when I didn’t completely believe in myself. Because of you, I graduated high school. I am almost finished my first year of college. My first opportunity to be responsible all the way back in kindergarten led to me becoming who I am today. You taught me well, and I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me next.

Thank you.