"Everything I Am You Helped Me To Be"

"Everything I Am You Helped Me To Be"

Thank you, Mom

2016
"Everything I Am You Helped Me To Be"
Huffington Post

Dear Mom,

I know I never say it enough but this is my chance to put my love and appreciation for you into words. I cannot even begin to describe how much you mean to me. You are everything to our family and we so often take you for granted. You are more than just a mom, you are one of my best friends, my go-to when times get stressful, and one of the most selfless individuals in the whole world.

Thank you for...

1. Encouraging my passions

When I was 7, I found a passion for Irish dance that will always stick with me. Despite the expenses, time commitment, and dedication it took, you were willing to put everything else aside and encourage me to do what I love no matter what. From driving to countless dance competitions all around the country to paying for 6 classes a week, your sacrifice did not go unnoticed. Thank you for always making sure my hair and makeup looked stage ready, for squeezing my hand during recalls and results, and for giving me motivational pep talks before I went on stage.

2. Believing in my abilities even when I struggle to believe in myself

You have always been my number 1 fan. You push me to be my best every day. When I'm feeling overwhelmed with life, you are always there with an encouraging phone call to make sure I am focused on my goals. You are willing to do anything to make sure I make my dreams a reality and I can't thank you enough for all that you've done for me.

3. Picking me up when I can't pick myself up

"You fly now, I'll be there when you need to rest your wings". Leaving for college was one of the hardest things I've ever done. On my bad days, you were only one phone call away. Thank you for always listening and keeping me positive. You are the rock of our family and we would truly fall apart without you.

4. Allowing me to become my own person

You've always encouraged me to find my own passions and not just follow in the footsteps of my peers. I was taught to dream big and never let anything get in the way of my success. You've instilled a drive in me that I will carry with me throughout all I do in life. Because of you, I want to be more of a leader and less of a follower. I want to inspire people and make an impact on the lives of others. You've made that dream possible by encouraging me to step out of my comfort zone and not go along with the crowd.

5. Loving me even when I'm being too complicated

You are truly a model of what unconditional love looks like. Thank you for being there for me even when I've pushed you away. As I've gotten older, I have realized how much I really need you. You are more than just my mom, you are a friend.

You are truly amazing and my family is so blessed to have you as our rock. I can only hope to one day be half the mother you are to my future kids. You are selfless, determined, nurturing, and kind. You are everything I hope to be. Thank you for teaching me to believe in myself, for loving me unconditionally, and for being my greatest role model. I love you, Mom.