Why Everyone Needs Feminism

Why Everyone Needs Feminism

Don't let your privilege blind you to the suffering of others.

39
Why Everyone Needs Feminism

Feminism is defined as the theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes. And yet, so many people claim they don’t need feminism, that it doesn’t affect them personally. I've come to learn that a lot of people are simply ignorant to what feminism actually is and why it is helpful to both genders, not just women. Everyone can benefit from feminism, and everyone needs it, even if they don’t think they do.

First off, almost every issue within our society that men face can be tied to patriarchal values. Why is this important? Because feminist ideals are actively working against patriarchal standards for both genders. Have you ever noticed that men are discouraged from being overly emotional? That it’s common to hear, “No Homo” after two guys hug? Or that little boys are taught to not let little girls beat them. Why is it that being feminine is the worst thing? Because the patriarchy has set men so high above women that being even a little bit like one is a bad thing. Men should be free to express themselves in whatever way they want and the only thing stopping them is sexist stereotypes.

Why do women in America need feminism you might ask? Surely we don't have it as badly as women in other countries right? Actually on some levels this statement is completely wrong. Suffering is not a competition, so just because we don’t face the same injustices as women globally doesn’t mean we are not at a disadvantage within our own country. Women make up half of our population, but only hold less than a fifth of the positions in Congress. Men are making decisions about our bodies, rights and futures without us. Little girls are sent home from school because their outfits are distracting boys, and all this does is teach them that their educational experience is less valuable than those of boys. We teach women to flaunt their sexuality but then punish them for doing so outside of the parameters set forth by men.

In terms of sex crimes and unfair standards, we definitely all need feminism. If men aren’t interested in sleeping around, they are immediately portrayed as gay. And if a man gets raped, people almost never take him seriously. On the female side of things, women are so under supported in sex crime cases it's ridiculous. Women are taught it's their fault one way or another, and if they hadn't done any number of things, it could've been prevented. On college campuses, they have to tell women not to walk alone at night, and rape whistles are common place. We as a society have simply accepted rape culture as normal and the only way to stop it is with feminism. Anyone that thinks this untrue, look at our president, who literally has been recorded talking about how he kisses women without asking and frequently grabs them by their privates.

Personally, I will fight for feminism until I die. I need feminism because I am tired of worrying if communicating my desires and ideas will be seen as too bitchy. I need feminism because I’m tired of second guessing everything I wear for fear of unwanted attention. Because I hate knowing I will always be at a unique disadvantage trying to pursue a political career. I need it because I don’t leave my dorm without pepper spray and I'm afraid to walk alone at night. I need feminism because my body is my own, and only I can decide what happens to it. Because I wasn’t, and never will be, asking for anything based on who I hang out with or what I wear. But mostly, I need feminism because I am a woman and I am so freaking tired of that being a bad thing.

So next time you find yourself saying, “Oh, I don’t need feminism,” Think again. Everyone, be they female, male or anything in between, benefit from complete and total equality, no matter your level of privilege.