Everyday Lessons Of Being A Firefighters Girl

My Hero Wears Turn Out Gear

27
Abigail Fuller

1. The only fire he can't put out is the fire he started in my heart.

If there is one thing I thought I would never be, it's a firefighter's girl. That was never a fantasy or thought that popped into my head. I didn't read books or see movies and dream about falling head over heels in this ridiculously cute, everyday hero. But without the books and the movies, falling head over heels for an everyday hero is exactly what happened. I honestly had no clue what to expect when I met my firefighter. That's right, I said MY firefighter. Yes, he belongs to his family and even to the department he's with. But none the less he's mine and he flipped my world upside down.

2. He introduced me to a new world.

The world of firefighting is just that, a world all its own. It takes a special, incredibly smart person to enter this world. I learned the terms like halligan, 10-70 10-50 10-18 10-22, brack draft, fully involved, and several others. If you would like, Google the terms. I'll just stick with being quizzed and fail always miserably. My firefighter has broadened my horizon and allowed me to be introduced to and learn a vast new amount of knowledge.

3. He has taught me that family is more than just blood.

Ohana means family and family means no one gets left behind. No statement is truer for the men and women in public service. Brotherhood is a major key. 2 in, 2 out. They're always supporting and always there for one another. Being a part of his world means I am a part of their world. They look out for me and care about me because he brought me into the fold. They have each other's back but they have our back, as well.

4. He's taught me to rely on my faith.

Y'all, I'm a Christian. I grew up in a Christian home and go to church pretty much every time the doors are open. But being a firefighter's girl has taught me more than anything to rely on my faith and the Good Lord. There is nothing like the sound of tones dropping or a call coming over the radio to make your heart plummet straight to your stomach. The "We have a call babe. I love you" text can be absolutely heart breaking. But when the tones drop and that text comes in, my prayers go up. For the safety en route and on the scene of my man and everyone else involved. Prayers for my patience as I wait, sometimes for hours, on the "Hey babe. We're back at the station" text. Having faith in an all knowing, all loving, protecting God is a vital key in loving a firefighter.

5. He's taught me a sense of pride.

Very few things make me happier than being able to say that my man is a firefighter. There is a sense of pride that comes along with being in that type of relationship. Firefighters put their lives on the line every day for strangers. They do not hesitate when trouble is near. They run into burning buildings, for heaven's sake. Firefighters are strong and courageous. They're parents, siblings, and kids to someone. They are everyday people who do extraordinary things. That is something to be proud of.

I've gained several things from my relationship. Most importantly, I found love. I fell in love with a stubborn, hard working, strong, loving, humble man who happens to be a firefighter. While I'm sure he'll make me turn grey before my time, I wouldn't trade this love for anything.