'Everybody Wants Some!!' And The Collegiate Imperative To Being Open-Minded

Richard Linklater's newest film shows how much of college is encountering and appreciating, different walks of life.

30

With 17 films under his belt, Richard Linklater has gotten a reputation for making films about sensibility and philosophical wanderings. However, if you look at the trailer for his newest, "Everybody Wants Some!!," you can deduce it just to be a dumb sex comedy. And though it might seem so through the trailer, even through the first 15 minutes of the film, there is so much more underneath that you wouldn't notice up front.

Strangely enough, this is not just true for the film itself but also all of the characters of the film. Jacob Bradford (Blake Jenner) is just starting out freshman year in college, right as, intentionally yet unintentionally, "Boyhood," Linklater's last film, ends with the titular character, Mason, going to college in his Freshman year. Jacob is going to pitch for his fictional Texas school's baseball team, and he can't wait to meet the teammates. In the baseball house that he will live in, he shakes the hand of the distinguished veteran of the team, McReynolds (Tyler Hoechlin). McReynolds asks what Jacob's position is. "Pitcher," he says. McReynolds wipes the shaken hand on his teammates shirt.

This is the first instance of speculation as per different kinds of people in the film, and it certainly won't be the last. This baseball team, even in the hands of Linklater, are raunchy, testosterone-filled, and often, as Jacob's love interest Beverly (Zoey Deutch) later speculates, "single-minded." The team often takes jabs at the pitchers, but, together, it's a whole different ball game.

The baseball team is so familiar to each other — they like the same music, they like to compete constantly, and they like women, in the kindest terms — that when they are introduced into other worlds, it's a little of a shock. Toward the middle of the film, the team enters their neighbors' house, a group of punk students, and, looking around at all the trinkets, it looks like they're exploring an abandoned temple. Then, when they go to a "theater party" as they chanted when they decided to go, they are hilariously weirded out by many of the eccentric details. "Cats shouldn't be in the fridge," as Plummer (Temple Baker) so eloquently puts it. However, while the team has both reservations before their entrances into different world and also doesn't change after they leave them, they eventually find out that each event isn't so bad after all, and we think the same for the team, who could have easily been offensive, totalitarian, and misogynist, but end up being witty, thoughtful, and understanding, all the while being realistic.

The focal point for the culture clash, however, happens when Jacob starts to get to know Beverly in the third act, a performing arts major who showed some affection — even if it was playful — toward Jacob in the beginning. While some members of the team were hitting on Beverly and her friend, she replies with "I like the quiet guy in the backseat. In the middle," referring to the properly positioned Jacob. When Jacob calls Beverly finally and tells her he's a baseball player, she's shocked, thinking that all jocks were "simpleminded."

She was wrong, though — at least in the movie — as Jacob, while still enthusiastically participating in the team's buffoonery, is always thinking, as his character arc is mostly finding his place in the universe — or at least on campus. And Beverly turns out to fit well for Jacob, a player who, through experience, knows that he can find girls to hook up with on campus. Toward the end of the movie, you don't think of this as a sort of reserve "Revenge of the Nerds" but instead a film where all groups of people come together to let the good times role. At the end of this movie, you think of this as a sort of —exact, really — "Everybody Wants Some!!"

Having played baseball in college himself, it isn't too far-fetched that Richard Linklater's newest film is semi-autobiographical. And although this does take place in the 1980s, it does hold a still steady resemblance on the diversity of people in college today. Much of the media likes to think of trying new things in college as doing drugs, taking Art History, and women experimenting with other women (but never men experimenting with other men). However, the majority of times you will encounter something new in college is a group of people who have ideas about things that are different than your own.

Although "Dazed and Confused," the spiritual prequel to "Everybody Wants Some!!," shuffles around several groups of high schoolers in the film's small town, they, more-or-less, have the same core, and their only real opposition is The Man, or, if you're Mike in 'Dazed and Confused,' Clint, the dominant, male, monkey motherf*****." "Everybody Wants Some!!" however, often pits these groups of people against each other, as they have come from different walks of life. College has people from different counties, states, and even countries, and sometimes someone will have a way of living that seems odd or even scary to you. However, if you really want to open yourself to new ideas in college like you promised in your college essay, it has to happen by opening yourself to different people. Who knows? While doing this you might just open yourself up to you new best friend or the love of your life.