Ever Wondered What You Should Watch Next On Netflix? Tackle This List This Summer.

All t.v. shows and movies on Netflix are NOT created equal, but this collection is guaranteed to satisfy!

14
Banalities

For myself and thousands of other college students in the nation, summer equals an abundance of free time and/or the ability to do whatever you want: a job, an internship, traveling, or nothing much at all.

If you are like me, and basically sit around the house all day, sleeping and eating your way through the summer, you should check out My Top Five for movies and T.V. currently streaming on Netflix.

Over the years, I have been able to distinguish the mediocre from the extraordinary. My lists contain programs that are widely popular, so there's a strong chance that you've either seen or heard of these movies and T.V. shows. But hey, they are worth the binge; if you have the time and the boredom, why not? And even if you have watched all of these movies and shows, they are definitely worth a re-watch.

The programs that make the cut truly need no introduction or synopsis. The sheer entertainment they provide can speak for itself. I'm no critic, but I know this selection is the truth.

1. Dexter TV-MA (2006-2013)

As far as serial-killer shows go, Dexter is King. To be honest, I could not get past the first episode; I re-watched it four times. Then one day I just sat down and didn't turn it off -- my interest and fascination with all things blood and forensic science grew with each episode I watched. FYI the dialogue is also amazing. This beautifully twisted show has eight seasons, 96 episodes. Here is the trailer, Dexter is definitely worth your time.

2. The Following TV-14 (2013-2015)

I love a show that can go on and on, and on; the more episodes to watch the more binge-worthy a show can be. While The Following only has three seasons, the pure carnage that you will be a witness to (if you chose to watch it) proves that season count means nothing. The aforementioned carnage revolves around serial-killer Joe Caroll - I promise this entire list is not composed of shows about serial killers. Dexter and The Following are wondrous shows that just so happen to feature a serial killer. This Scream-esque t.v. show has three seasons, 45 episodes. Here is the trailer. I've come to realize that The Following is not for everyone it can be a bit much, but I love this crazy show, so check it out.

3. Grey's Anatomy TV-14 (2005-)

I have an emotional attachment to Grey's Anatomy. This show was the first show I ever overindulged in. It was Thanksgiving Break two years ago. I had nothing but time on my hands, and so many people kept telling me to watch this show. The first episode was so uninteresting; I was severely underwhelmed, not understanding the hype. Then I kept watching. I believe I watched nine seasons in four days. Out of control, I know. But the show is that good; if you become a fan and watch from the beginning, it will turn you into an emotionally damned wreck. With it's twelfth season finale that aired 5/19, Grey's Anatomy has amassed a whopping 272 episodes. It's been on the air for a decade, if you haven't seen it and need something to watch this summer, check it out: trailer.

4. The West Wing TV-14 (1999-2006)

If I was able to understand and comprehend smart television at 3 years old in 99' -- when this show first aired, The West Wing would have been the show of my childhood. I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I sat down to watch. I'm always a fan of a well-written script (well-written anything tbh). I came to appreciate everything about this show after the second episode. T.V. shows are not made like this anymore. I do not put on the subtitles for most things I watch because I read way faster than I hear and process things, knowing what a character is going to say before they say it gets old. However this show has such a fast pace that I had to put the subtitles on so that I did not miss a thing. The West Wing has seven seasons, 155 episodes. Here is the trailer though I don't suggest you watch it. Just go to Netflix, type in The West Wing, and be amazed.

5. From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series (2014-)

I have not seen the movie that inspired this t.v. show, and I don't really plan on it -- you don't need to. I don't even know how to categorize From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series. It is a horror show, but it's also an action movie and crime thriller? I don't know. What I do know is that From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series is nothing like anything I have ever seen before, and now I'm a fan for life. Though this is not usually the case, in my opinion, season 2 was leagues better than season 1. I'm so excited for season three to be released on Netflix. With two seasons and 30 episodes, From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series is in a class of its own. Here is the trailer. Check it out.

MY TOP FIVE MOVIES STREAMING ON NETFLIX

1. The Usual Suspects R (1995) (DVD Only)

I know these lists are for titles currently streaming on Netflix and The Usual Suspects is DVD only, but it had to be #1. This movie is one of my favorite films of all time. I can't talk about how amazing it is without giving away spoilers, so just do yourself a favor, and watch this movie -- if you haven't already seen it. At 1hr 46min, The Usual Suspects has won two Oscars and ya' just need to watch it. Here is the trailer. Check it out.

2. Chef R (2014)

Chef is the epitome of a great feel-good movie. I'm a fan of a good murder scene, but you won't find that here. It'll just leave you with a wonderful impression, and you'll also want to eat some good food. Aside from the fact that this is a movie worth 1hr 54min of your time, I chose Chef because the main character Carl Casper is played by Jon Favreau. Favreau. the man who created Iron Man, wrote, directed, and starred in Chef. It's always impressive when a person can write, direct, and star in their own movie and do it well. Here is the trailer. Check it out.

3. The Wood R (1999)

There are only a handful of movies that feature all-Black casts that do not fall into the category of Blaxploitation. In my opinion with the exception of Dope, the 1990's and early 00's held the golden age of Black film. The Wood? A classic. This movie is full of laughs and woes of adolescence. When I sat down to watch this movie for the first time, after 1hr and 46min, I was sad to see it end. The Wood is a quintessential coming-of-age tale. Here is the trailer. Check it out. You won't be sorry.

4. Dope R (2015)

For me, Dope was a happy accident. i had absolutely no intention on watching this film. It was movie night and I got outvoted. A great way to describe Dope would be to say that this movie is The Wood for my generation. I'm not just saying that. The man who wrote and directed The Wood, Rick Famuyiwa also wrote and directed Dope. To be clear, the two are nothing alike. Usually when I watch shows and movies that were created for my demographic, they are filled with misrepresented uses of technology and cringe inducing puns/references. I carried this sentiment with me as I began to watch this movie, 20 minutes in my mind was swiftly changed. Dope is 1hr 43min of awesomeness. Here is the trailer. Check it out.

5. The Switch PG-13 (2010)

To some, The Switch could be considered a pretty mediocre comedy, and that's not inaccurate. But, The Switch will forever be a part of my top five because Jason Bateman is always a treat to watch and Thomas Robinson who played Sebastian was fantastic. I like this movie because it made me laugh more than I thought it would, and I love to laugh, so it's definitely worth the 1hr 41min. Here is the trailer. If you haven't already seen it, You will probably give up a chuckle or two while you watch.

Thanks for checking out my lists! What's your top 5? Write yours in the comment section!