Eugene on a Sunny Day: Why It's Hard to Beat

32

Located in the naturally breathtaking town of Eugene, the University of Oregon is a beautiful campus. Eugene is an incredible town offering a lot of natural attractions such as hiking trails and waterfalls, no matter the time of year. However, on a sunny day it seems that Eugene is a whole new place.

On a sunny day, the University of Oregon has a completely different vibe to it. Everyone is happy and upbeat as they try to soak up every minute of sun they can. It is common to see people sun tanning in the grass outside the library and others playing frisbee on your walk to class. The flowers are blooming, trees are green, and the sun is shining. I always say, it’s hard to find a better place to be then the University of Oregon on a sunny day.

If you were to take a tour of the university in the winter, you would probably have to wear a rain jacket and a few layers of clothes. You would see students walking to class with their rain jackets and coffee to keep them warm. Now if you tour the campus on a sunny day in the spring, the amount of happy smiling students you see around is unreal. The school feels like it doubles in size and everyone is in shorts and tank tops.

Here is 5 things to do on a sunny day in Eugene:

1. Hike. Spencers Butte is one of my favorite hikes, even during those cold winter days. The hike overlooks all of Eugene and you can even see Autzen stadium! My favorite time to hike is at sunset during the spring. Another popular hiking trail is Skinners Butte. Both of these trials are located relatively close to the campus! 

2. Fish. Many students go down to the McKenzie River, find a nice tree to sit under in the shade and fish all afternoon! I've been told there is a lot of trout to catch! You can have a barbecue to cook some delicious dinner!

3. Float the River. On a sunny day, if you go down to the McKenzie River its not unusual to see a lot of students floating the river. What’s better than tanning and swimming in a river with all of your friends? After being out on the river, head over to McMenamins North Bank for dinner which has a patio that is located right on the river.

4. Go to a park. A favorite spot of mine is Hendricks Park! It’s absolutely beautiful and when the flowers are blooming and the sun is shining, it definitely makes it that much better. You can either have a picnic or practice some outdoor yoga. 

5. Enjoy the sun. I had a few professors last spring that let us do class outside! Students will literally lay out on any grass they can find. Whether it's laying out in the sun or going to a dayfade, just enjoy every minute. 

It’s not everyday that you’ll see someone laying in a hammock under a tree, however it makes those rare sunny days at the University of Oregon so much more appreciated.