5 Essential Plant Types You Need In Your Room Now

Plants not only give us a source of oxygen, but also bring us joy.

146

With Spring here, there is no better time than to add more green to your life. There is something so beautiful and calming about house plants. They are only just a bundle of green leaves in a pot of dirt. They do not move, nor do they express emotions, as a pet may.

Plants, through photosynthesis, give us oxygen. That is about the only thing that a basic houseplant gives us, with the exception of flowering plants or fruit plants. But for some reason, we associate their green leaves and stillness with tranquility and we obsess over them. People collect dozens of tiny succulents arranged aesthetically. People like Jenna Marbles hoard house plants until it looks like she's opening a Rain Forest Cafe inside her house.

I do not have the answer as to why we, as humans, are so attracted to a naturally occurring organism set in places where they otherwise don't occur. It could be that nature = peace, as described in Hygge. However, I do have some recommendations as to what plants are the best, and even some extra benefactors they give.

1. Even you can't kill these

images.pexels.com

Cacti, Succulents, and Air Plants are very hard to kill. They don't require much water at all, a normal amount of sunlight, and like it at room temperature. Plus, they're small enough to scatter about your room, or even hang. They're great for people just starting out.

Some other fun ones include Burros Tail, Jade Plant, and Spider Plants.

2. Loves the humidity

static.everypixel.com

Peace Lily, Boston Fern, Prayer Plant, Orchids, and Chinese Evergreens.

These plants love lots of water and warmer temperatures, but not so much sunlight. A great place to keep these would be an upstairs bedroom, because heat rises, or in your bathroom! Hot, steamy showers create a humid environment that will please your plant friend.

3. I'm seeing green!

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com

Ivy, Snake Plant, Autograph Tree, and Zebra Plant.

These are great, smaller living room plants. Especially if you live in a city with not much green-space. These plants don't like direct sunlight and like to be watered moderately in a room temperature setting.

4. Plants for snoozing

images.unsplash.com

Likewise, certain plants can be great for specific conditions. For example, for a better night's sleep, you should keep some of these plants in your bedroom: Ivy, Aloe Vera, Gardenia, Snake Plant, and of course, Lavender.

5. Breath of fresh air

s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com

Certain plants can also filter out toxins and produce a cleaner air quality! Already mentioned was Snake Plant, Spider Plant, Aloe, Boston Fern, and Peace Lily, but there's also Golden Pothos, Dracaena, Weeping Fig, and Rubber Plants.

Out there, there is a plant for everyone. Be sure to cater to every plant's individual needs. I learned the hard way that their care is unique to them, and can't be generalized. Also, it is good to keep a close eye on your plants. The color of their leaves can tell you if they are sick or need more/less sunlight or more/less water. Just like if your plant is starting to lean towards the sun, it means that it isn't getting enough light and needs to be turned around or put in a place where there's more direct sunlight. It's also good to move your plants around and see where they may like it more within a room's space. Your plant may not be a pet, but they are still living things and deserve to be nurtured as such. Happy Planting!