Choosing what to do with your life

Realizing That We Can Do Or Be Anything We Want Is The Best And Worst Self-Realization

Suddenly, we desire to do everything.

74
Doors

It seems that from the time we're cognizant we are told we can be anything, capable of doing anything we worked hard for. Do ballet, take karate, become a teacher or lawyer or veterinarian. For me, a painfully shy child, that seemed like an amazing feat that I wasn't sure I could succeed at. As I grew up I found myself becoming more involved in different clubs, sports, and activities at school. However, I never really did all that I felt I was capable of or even all that I wanted to do.

Because I was so shy I couldn't talk myself into doing new things by myself, I needed the safety net that my friends provided. When they weren't interested I decided to brush off my inkling to try whatever it may have been. By the time I was able to talk myself into just sucking up my anxiety and doing it I faced a new mental wall: it was "too late" to get involved. (Oh, the lies we tell ourselves.)

During my transition into college, I promised myself one thing: I wouldn't allow myself to be the thing holding me back. At the end of my second year, I can confirm that I am more involved than I think I have ever been. From two on-campus jobs to my spot on a club sports team to a Senate position in student government, I have found ways to get involved, make friends, and have fun throughout my time on campus. Yet even as I found my place within these groups and these places, I felt restless.

Suddenly, the fact that I could be or do anything was simultaneously the best and worst thing to happen to me.

Through my further socialization and familiarization with campus and its offerings, I began to feel that the path I had created for myself wasn't all that it could be, or even what it should. I became all too familiar with the "too much gene" that I felt I had created throughout middle and high school.

This fictional gene took hold and I was just going along for the ride. I began to feel that whatever I did I would never be able to satisfy my need to do this, that, and the other thing. In fact, I became hyper-aware of the fact I would never be able to feasibly do everything my mind flagged on its interest inventory.

My main reasoning behind this, of course, was time. After overextending myself in the fall I felt that I was a disappointment to both myself and everyone around me. I couldn't stomach the idea of feeling that way again, so I reevaluated what I was doing and had a much better semester following it. My concerns with time didn't end there, though. I also found that whenever I felt strongly inclined to look into an org the meeting time would always coincide with practice or another commitment.

And just like that, I found my second reason: commitment. When I do something, I become fully invested and pour a bit of my soul into it. While I do this, I also take on a little mental burden that takes on a tone of accountability regarding my peers. The longer I stay involved, the bigger the burden that comes from the idea of ever letting my peers down. In reality, this is something of a sick joke on myself; my commitment to the things I was already involved in left me feeling helpless in my quest to try so many things. Despite this, I would still feel inclined to look into other organizations that I felt would offer me another view and perhaps positively impact my life. In what world would I ever win? Short answer: none.

Since my self-realization, I have been working on coming to terms with the idea of not being able to do everything I have felt a deep inclination towards. While it is a very slow progression with my "too much gene" always at the ready for the next idea, it is progress nonetheless. One day I will be content with what I have done and will continue to do in life. Until then, I'll continue to work on my biggest commitment to date: myself.