The Importance Of Having An Entry-level Job

Developing essential skills while learning the quirks of the business.

999
Taco Bell

An entry-level job, which is often one’s first job, can be easily described as one of the most important positions throughout an individual’s professional career. These positions lay the foundation for achievement in the workplace by creating and developing skills beyond what is taught in high school and college. I myself have worked in several of these positions, as I have lived in a few different locations, and have taken important things away from each one.

From the Coffee Shop I worked in when I was 15 years old, to the bakery position at Walmart I left on Saturday, I have attained skills that will last a lifetime. Holding an entry-level position is incredibly important because it creates, builds, and develops skills that will be essential throughout one’s professional career. These jobs also provide a greater understanding of how business generally operates and allows for the employee to establish connections with others they work with.

If you had not taken an algebra course, chances are it would be quite difficult for you to understand a calculus course. Similarly, if you had no experience with solving small problems, it would be much more difficult for you to develop solutions to larger issues. Entry-level positions allow for the creation and development of many essential skills, whereas more skilled positions may already expect these attributes to be polished. Beyond just problem solving mentioned above, communication is another crucial ability.

Being able to collaborate with your coworkers, voice issues, and speak with management are important communication skills that will be important in any position. Furthermore, most entry-level jobs are customer service extensive. These jobs will involve constant interaction with customers which provides an excellent base for working with employees, coworkers, vendors, and all people in general.

Beyond the development of essential skills, one who works an entry-level job will attain an entirely new perspective on business. Before the position I held at Taco Bell, I was not aware the associate at the drive-thru speaker was also handling a transaction at the window simultaneously. I was not aware that drive-thru orders were timed, or that closing procedures begin before the store actually closes for the day. Given, I was even younger than I am now at the time and some of the things I learned became common sense, there are still many little quirks about these positions to be discovered. Working entry-level jobs has forever impacted the way I understand those who work for them, and also taught me many tips and tricks for the specific companies I worked for.

Finally, you have the chance to network with people before you have any idea what they will accomplish. More than 27 notable celebrities have worked for McDonalds, including Jay Leno and James Franco. The person flipping burgers next to you one day could be known throughout the world the next. Working an entry level position allows for you to work with people with all kinds of goals and aspirations which provides excellent potential for one’s social capital.

Holding an entry-level position has many benefits to an individual. It allows for the development of important lifelong skills, teaches a myriad of tips and tricks, and allows for the establishment of potentially significant connections. Without the experience that these positions provide, an opportunity is missed to establish important attributes and learn all of the interesting quirks each business seems to have. These positions not only lay the foundation for achievement in the workplace, but also provide many other benefits to the employee.