I Am Enough

I Am Enough

How I've learned that gaining self-confidence is key to a happy life.

1110
I Am Enough
Flickr Creative Commons

Throughout my whole life, I have been constantly asking myself the question: "Am I good enough?"

I used to compare myself to other people wondering why I am not pretty enough, smart enough, skinny enough, talented enough, etc. I used to care so much about what people thought of me. I used to hold myself back from speaking up whenever I saw something that wasn't right. I used to be scared of people judging me. I used to blend in with the rest of the crowd.

I used to try way too hard to fit in. I used to try way too hard to impress my "friends." I used to not feel like that I could be myself around my "friends."

As I look back on the thoughts that my old self used to think, I have now realized that I am enough. That I should not care about what other people think. That I am who I am and that no one can change that or tell me different. That comparing myself to other people all the time will only bring down my self-esteem in the end. That whenever I do see something that isn't right, I speak up no matter what other people say or think. I want my voice to be heard because self-confidence is key to living a happy life.

This is to anyone who has been in my shoes or is still in my shoes. I just want to let you know that:

You.

Are.

Enough.

You are loved. You are respected. You are worth it. You are your own amazing person. And you should never let anyone else rain on your parade.

So what if your classmate got an A on that one history paper when you didn't?

So what if your crush doesn't like you back?

So what if your old favorite pair of jeans don't fit you anymore?

So what if you have really bad acne?

You are beautiful. You are smart. There are plenty of other people out there. You are bound to find one of them who will love you back. If anyone cannot accept you for who you are 100%, then that is their problem--not yours. You have your own unique figure. Why fit in when you were born to stand out? The weirdos like us make the world go round. We make change happen. We make life more interesting and fun.

I have learned to focus on the people in my life who are always there for me and who love me for who I am 150%. I have learned to move on from the people in my life who didn't love me for being me. Because I have learned that I deserved so much better. So do you. And that I am better. So are you.

Life is too short to focus on other people's thoughts, looks, friends, partners, and lives too much. You have so much to live for. You have people who love you and care about you whether you see it now or not.

In case you need to hear it again to remind yourself or if you were confused throughout this entire article, here is my message again:

You.

Are.

Enough.