Things Type Two's Can Relate To

10 Things All Enneagram Type Two's Can Relate To On A Personal Level

We're not all the same, but we have a few things in common.

3694

The Enneagram of Personality has been around for a long time, but it has recently appeared all over my Instagram. I was curious to see what type I fit into, so I took a free test. I soon found out that I am a type two, and after some research, this type seems very accurate for me. There are a ton of common traits and behaviors amongst each type, and these are just a few that most type twos share.

1. We just want to help out

Type twos are labeled as "the helper," and that couldn't be more accurate. We love to help in any way possible. I know one of my favorite pastimes is community service, and I'm sure many other type twos can say the same.

2. We're caring, kind, and loving

Along with being helpful, we are also passionate about those things we help with. We care deeply for those around us and use our generosity to help them out of love and kindness. The Enneagram Institute says, "The love and concern they feel—and the genuine good they do — warms their hearts and makes them feel worthwhile. Twos are most interested in what they feel to be the 'really, really good' things in life — love, closeness, sharing, family, and friendship."

3. We're dedicated to what we love

Since we hold this sense of love and relationship so dear, most of us are dedicated to those people and things we love. Our relationships, both romantic and platonic, are a key part of our lives, and we are some of the most loyal people you will find. Once I discovered my passion for the environment, I dedicated a part of my education to it by making it my minor. I am extremely dedicated to my boyfriend, and I am so lucky to have him.

4. We're often a people person

Building relationships are a core value of type two. According to The Enneagram Institute, "People are drawn to them like bees to honey." We often consider ourselves to be a people person, and we strive to maintain those relationships with those friends and family members which we hold dear.

5. We're optimistic (sometimes a little too much)

One of our best traits is our unwavering optimism. We can show those around us the positive traits they have and also the positivity in the world around them. The Enneagram Institute says, "They enliven others with their appreciation and attention, helping people to see positive qualities in themselves that they had not previously recognized." However, our optimism can sometimes limit our ability to see the real world. We have to understand that our world is more than the warm or loving side of the world that we stand for, but we must also recognize the colder side of the world.

6. We're terrified of not being enough

While we aim to spread love and positivity, one of our worst fears is not getting that in return. The Enneagram Institute lists our basic fear as "being unwanted, unworthy of being loved." No matter how much we help, many of us feel like we simply aren't doing enough to keep the love of those we care for. We are often called "people-pleasers" because we are always seeking this love and these relationships to validate ourselves. After going to college, I have worked on this part of my personality tremendously, and I have grown to be self-aware and seek this kind of validation from myself and my happiness.

7. Sometimes we forget about ourselves

While we are so distracted helping others, we tend to overlook our own needs. Our selflessness can turn into a bad thing when we start to forget to help ourselves. The Enneagram Institute lists this as one of our key flaws, "if you are not addressing your own needs, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to meet anyone else's needs without problems, underlying resentments, and continual frustration." It may be hard to do, but in the end, it will only allow you to be more efficient in helping those around you if you help yourself first. Us type twos must take a step back and take a moment for ourselves now and then. Take that trip you've always wanted, or do that thing you've been putting off!

8. We can get overwhelmed

Helping others and trying to become self-aware of our needs can be overwhelming. This is one of the major sources of stresses for myself, and I'm sure many other type twos feel the same. Just take a moment to prioritize those issues at hand. For me, I use a planner and to-do list, as well as, Google Calendar. Mindfulness and calming hobbies help to relieve some of the overwhelming and anxious feelings.

9. We can be prideful

While helping others, many type twos may seek attention and thank you's for the good work they do for others. However, this is not healthy. We often build up ourselves and expect more from others than they are willing to give. The Enneagram Institute advises type twos to, "Resist the temptation to call attention to yourself and your good works. After you have done something for others, do not remind them about it. Let it be: either they will remember your kindness themselves and thank you in their own way or they will not. Your calling attention to what you have done for them only puts people on the spot and makes them feel uneasy. It will not satisfy anyone or improve your relationships."

10. We're working on ourselves, just like everyone else

Like all types, we have strengths and flaws, and many of us are working on improving ourselves everyday.