I Am Enjoying My Childless Years And You Should, Too
Lifestyles

These Are My Childless Years, So Catch Me Sleeping 'Til Noon And Sipping Mimosas At Brunch

Soak up all the freedom. Make all the last minute plans. If you're single, go on a TON of dates and just enjoy yourself.

214

It's Friday night and on a whim, you want to run and grab Mexican food and a margarita from that amazing place around the corner, or perhaps it's Sunday morning and you're craving a mimosa and brunch.

The funny thing is, people will sell you this lie that in order to truly fulfill your life you need to get married and have children. Society makes you so entirely focused on those goals, that you almost forget to completely enjoy these blissfully quiet, childless years!

I am 28-years-old and that means I'm encroaching close on those years where pregnancy is considered more difficult, and you know what? I DON'T CARE!

This is the time to sleep in on Saturdays, eat literally whatever I want, and make all the last minute plans I want. I can go shopping and buy myself all the things I want and not stress about feeding or clothing someone else, let alone paying for their childcare.

Sometimes I think we get so wrapped up in the lie we're sold that we forget to enjoy these years. We forget to absolutely relish in the freedom it is to be childless. For some, children are not on the table and that's ABSOLUTELY OK! And for others, maybe you already have kids and are absolutely happy. That's OK too!

The thing to remember here is, that in this time where you don't have any kin to be responsible for, you should absolutely live it up!

Take trips, explore a new city, book a hotel nearby and just make a night of it. Now is the time to do it. Now is the time to embrace yourself and your life and all the freedoms you currently have. Sure, you can still have those things when you have a family, but ultimately you don't get to just be absolutely selfish.

So this is it, be selfish! Buy all the things! Go all the places! Make time for all your friends, even the ones with children. Relish in these moments. It may not last forever.

I'm going to walk into my 10-year high school reunion this year and sit around so many of my classmates that are married and have multiple children, and they're all going to look at me like I'm missing out on something. But I want to make it VERY clear that I'm not missing anything. You have your life and you're happy and I have mine. And I AM HAPPY!

While you're giving baths and putting kids to bed, I'm at the newest bar downtown, making new friends. While you're getting kids ready in the morning, I'm sleeping in until the last possible second. While you're shuffling kids to soccer games and practices, I'm having brunch and a series of mimosas.

I am happy for you and the beautiful little humans you have brought into this world, but please don't mistake my lack of miniature humans of my own as unhappiness.

I promise you, I am happy with my quiet apartment and extra sleep. I am enjoying this beautiful freedom, and if you're in my shoes, you should be too.