senior year of college

Senior year is not what I expected. I anticipated wild nights and barely any school work. I hoped for a drama free semester with a solid friend group. Granted, some of my expectations have been met during my first semester (my friends are amazing), but everything else? Not so much. I didn't realize that every moment was a constant reminder that I'm growing up and saying goodbye to everything that made college bearable. There are 5 reasons why senior year kinda sucks and I have "The Office" gifs to prove it.

1. Trying to balance a hell course load and a social life.

media.giphy.com

Senioritis, lack of time management, and maintaining a social life perfectly describes senior year—oh, and sleep deprivation. Our course loads are terrible because it's all the hard classes at once. Our time management is just sad because, to be honest, we don't really care anymore. And our need for human interaction is at an all-time high. Sleep is for the weak.

The number of times I've heard seniors at parties saying "Oh, I have a 10 paged paper due tomorrow, but I'm going to wake up super early, start it, and get it done before class" while they are completely trashed is mind-boggling. Especially because I understand EXACTLY where they're coming from. Senior year isn't healthy, kids.

2. The end of life-long passions/hobbies/sports. 

media.giphy.com

Growing up, I danced on a competition team and continued my dancing career in college. Now, after seventeen years of being a dancer, I finished my last show. I know I'm not going to be a professional and I need to start focusing on my career for after college, but I'm pretty bummed out about it. Granted, I'm going to take a few classes here and there if I have time, but it's not the same.

Many other seniors are in the same boat. They aren't going to compete in their sports after college or continue their hobbies that they grew up with because, honestly, there's no reason to. It's sad because a big part of your life is coming to an end, and what's sadder is that you know that it's necessary.

3. I feel like a grown up, ew.

media.giphy.com

I know this whole rant is about how I'm going to miss college, but, to be honest, I'm pretty over it. I don't like going out every weekend. I don't like drinking past the point of no return. Not really crazy about overly crowded parties that get shut down within the hour. At this point, I'd rather nap.

I am especially so done with college drama. I feel super old when underclassmen tell me their problems. I look at them and realize how far I've come because I was in the exact same position two years ago. I impart wisdom like some town elder and feel at least 100-years-old (yes, that was dramatic, I know I'm 21, but still). And when I'm involved in the drama, I try to settle it immediately because I don't have the energy. Growing up is gross.

4. Oh my God, I have to figure out my life now. 

media.giphy.com

The impending doom of figuring out your life is finally here. Next semester is for resumes, Linkedin, and getting jobs that remotely involve the career path you're trying to focus on. Finding out where you're going to live with an entry level job should be considered an Olympic sport. Not to mention all the debt from student loans keeping you up at night. We are all screwed.

5. The end of an era. 

media.giphy.com

This is the part that sucks the most—saying goodbye. You reach a point where you make the distinction of who is going to be in your life after college, and who isn't. They make the transition from your friends to your college friends; your boyfriends/girlfriends to the person I was with in college. You know it's necessary, but saying goodbye to college really sucks.

Personally, this semester hasn't been THAT bad. But that doesn't change the fact that senior year is filled with existential crises. Large parts of our lives, good and bad, are finally coming to a close and that's kinda terrifying. Senior year is the year of taking Ls. But hey, even though it sucks now, it doesn't mean that it won't be better in the long run. All good things come to an end to make room for bigger and better things—I mean, we got our whole lives ahead of us.