Why I Am DEDICATED To Making 'Emily In Paris' My Reality

I Am DEDICATED To Making 'Emily In Paris' My Reality — It's More Than Just Studying Abroad For Me

A dream that is more than just studying abroad.

748
Ashley Fisher

Since I can remember, Paris has been my favorite city even though I had never been there before. When I was ten, my mom asked me how I wanted to decorate my room and all I told her was 'Paris', and that's what I got to do.

I had never been out of the country at that point. Little did I know I would get to see my dream city nine years later.

Throughout high school, I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do with my life. My mom had always told me she wanted me to be a doctor so that is what I decided. I applied to colleges that were known for their science programs and committed to one because I truly thought that was what I had to do.

I had never really considered any other options. Then came my senior trip abroad.

That trip made me realize what I wanted to do rather than what I had to do.

My high school had this amazing program that gave me the opportunity to take a class as my senior English credit that taught philosophy, European art and music history, and world religion.

After completing the course, my classmates and I all got the opportunity to take a trip to Europe together to see everything we learned about all year. This was my first trip abroad and my first time in the city of my dreams.

Once I got there, my perspective changed.

Paris is truly the city of love. I remember as soon as I got off the plane, my class drove outside the city to get to our hotel. From there we took the metro in order to get to the heart of Paris. That feeling of walking up the stairs from the metro for the first time and seeing the city for the first time is something I will never forget.

Walking around the city and hearing live music everywhere I went, witnessing people fall in love while dining at the tiny tables right outside every restaurant, the smell of baked goods and coffee on every corner, and aspiring artists painting the people roaming the streets of this beautiful city.

I loved the city before ever seeing it, but once I finally saw it, I fell in love with it.

When I got home from that trip all I thought about was when the next time I would be back. Since I was about to start college, I thought the only opportunity I would have to get back to the city I loved so much was through studying abroad. I began college as a biology major because I was still sure that was what I was gonna do.

After a few months, I realized having a job that kept me in one place for the rest of my life was not something I wanted.

I kept thinking back to my trip abroad and thinking about how much more was out there to see. I knew I didn't want to study abroad once in college and get right back to school and soon after medical school.

I knew if I chose that path, it would be a long time before I could see the world I so desperately wanted to see.

After time in denial accepting the fact that I wasn't going to be a doctor anymore and the fear of disappointing my mom, I finally decided to change my major to pursue that Emily In Paris dream life that I have always wanted.

The minute I changed my major from Biology to Integrated Strategic Communications it felt as if a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I felt like I was on a path that I actually see myself happy working towards.

I could finally see that light at the end of the tunnel and it was so much brighter than before.

I am working hard in school in order to have a successful career in Public Relations or Creative Advertising. Although, it doesn't seem hard. I look forward to every class and assignment I am given because I can finally see the end goal.

I never saw that in myself before. This past semester has been the hardest I've ever worked in a school before, but it doesn't even feel like work anymore.

A passion just ignited in me and won't stop until I get the 'Emily In Paris' dream I know I will achieve someday.