Embracing Thanksgiving During a Pandemic

This year the holidays may feel a little different, but it's still meant to be enjoyed.

52
Personal photo

We've made it, people! The time of the year dedicated to spend time with family, friends, giving, receiving, and being thankful for all you have and all this year's given you. Though this year has taken much from each of us, I am confident that we all could benefit from a little perspective this Thanksgiving.

This year above all has made me thankful for my health, for my strong and able body that has protected me from the coronavirus. After all, that's more than many can say. Our bodies are a temple, a temple that has the potential to heal and grow, but also has the potential to deteriorate and wither away. Give thanks for your functioning and plentiful body today.

This year has made me thankful for my family, who has kept me sane throughout this pandemic. We had the privilege of spending close to 6 months together under the same roof, which is something that hasn't happened since we were all much younger. Although they drove me crazy sometimes, and I am sure I did the same for them, at the end of the day we always came together and enjoyed each other's sweet company. I can confidently say, together is my favorite place to be. Give thanks for your family today.

This year has made me thankful for my friends, who have continued to be complete blessings in my life despite any distance between us. It's no exaggeration that I have been on more FaceTime calls this year than any other point in my life, and I thank God for technology for granting us the opportunity to stay connected during these wild times. Furthermore, when we do have the chance to reunite, it's always a breath of fresh air, and I feel more grateful than ever to spend valuable time with them. True friendship can withstand any challenge and any distance. Give thanks for your family today

This year has made me thankful for my occupations. As an occupational therapy student, I've gained a new view on my day-to-day activities, the way I fill my days, my occupations. I'm thankful that I still have the opportunity to pursue my education, whether it be in-person or remote. I'm thankful for my workout routine, and the ability to move and push my body even outside the gym. I'm thankful for Netflix, and writing, and good books, and all the little things in between. Especially in 2020, the little things have turned out to be the big things. Give thanks for your life today.

This year has made me thankful to live in the United States of America, where we can voice our opinions and our beliefs without fear. From voting in elections, to peacefully protesting, to expressing yourself fully, in the U.S., we have it pretty good. Of course our country has its flaws, and we have a long way to go until we're a truly free nation for all, but I'm hopeful that when this is all over, we'll emerge on the other side a more united nation; one country, under God. Give thanks for being an American today.

Lastly, this year has made me thankful for the Lord above. God knows I've prayed harder than I ever have in 2020. I've prayed for global healing from COVID-19, I've prayed for the health of my friends and family, I've prayed for a more equal country, and I've prayed for inner peace despite the unrest of the world right now. My faith is stronger than ever, and I know He will pull us out of this. Give thanks for God today.

I am pretty sure most people aren't going to look back on 2020 and think it was the best year ever, but I hope you can find the silver lining in this year. Let's end it on a good note. Have a Happy Thanksgiving; stuff yourselves and love each other and shop (online) 'til you drop.