Embracing Singleness

Embracing Singleness

I often wonder, "why not me?" and I'm sure every other single girl out there is with me on that one.

73
Embracing Singleness
Emilee Day

Far too often I have thought of singleness as a curse.

Far too often, I have been asked by family members why I haven't gotten a boyfriend yet.

Far too often, us girls let those thoughts and questions into our minds, and we, in turn, begin to question what's wrong with us.

However, throughout my college career, I have learned that while I have always thought of being single as a curse, it is just a time for real, raw growth.

I am in no way dissing those who are in healthy, life-giving relationships. I know that there are a time and season for everything, and everyone's path is different; mine has just happened to be a long road of singleness.

Coming to college, I imagined my time in school to go something like this; move to my campus, settle in, find some friends, and then find the love of my life.

I know, cliche.

However, when my freshman year of college didn't play out exactly like that, I began to feel a little ashamed subconsciously. I saw some of my friends beginning to date guys and become serious with those they had already been talking to.

Sophomore year came, still no boyfriend.

Junior year came, still no boyfriend.

Senior year came, still no boyfriend.

Don't get me wrong; I am in no way idolize being in a relationship, I very much know who I am, however, when I saw a lot of the people around me in relationships I began to wonder, "why not me?".

While I have a solid group of friends, a strong family, and a stable relationship with The Lord, the thought would still subconsciously make its way to my brain.

However, I have learned to look at singleness as a blessing, and a period of growth for myself.

There will never be another time when I have as much freedom as I do now.

So, while I wait, I remember to embrace the state of life that I'm in at this very moment.

Singleness is not a curse, and it's time we embrace it as a blessing.