Embracing Diversity At Hofstra University

At Hofstra University, the creation of a tolerant and open-minded campus environment is a priority.

55
Hofstra University on Flickr

There are so many things to love about Hofstra University, like the beautiful campus, the abundance of cats, or its proximity to the beach and New York City. However, one thing everyone should really love about it is the inclusive and open environment it presents to its students and staff. Students of all races, religions, sexual orientations and other identities are welcomed and embraced on Hofstra's campus. It's an aspect of the school someone cannot fully appreciate until they become a member of the Pride.

Hofstra goes the extra mile to make sure all of its students feel included and welcomed on its campus, organizing events to show appreciation for its variety of students, and holding seminars to create awareness and tolerance for different communities and cultures. Just this past month in October, Hofstra held it's LGBTQ Appreciation Month and Ally week, where students and staff who are not part of the community came out to show their support of the LGBTQ students. The division of Intercultural Engagement and Inclusion, the driving force behind all of Hofstra's inclusive events, along with the Pride Network, organized a variety of events such as a drag show, a National Coming Out Day group photo, seminars and a LGBTQ+ Heritage Month Reception. Along with October's events, the month of November is Indigenous Peoples' Appreciation Month and similar events and seminars will be held throughout the entirety of November. Along with it's designated appreciation months and weeks, Hofstra regularly offers events, seminars and classes pertaining to all different types of cultures, religions and how diversity and cultural differences affect society. All of this is in an attempt to educate students and faculty and create a welcoming and open-minded environment on campus. “This is all about connecting different communities and celebrating differences and diversity,” says Chad Freeman, the Assistant Director of Intercultural Engagement and Inclusion at the University.

Hofstra exemplifies its open environment in other ways as well. When the presidential debate was held at the university students were welcomed and encouraged to express their political views, no matter which candidate they supported. Students were given the opportunity to participate in all the events surrounding the debate, attend discussions and mock debates about the election and the candidates and given the chance to attend the debate itself, along with watch parties for it. Also, when the results of the election were finalized just this past week, Hofstra again embraced both sides of the aftermath. Students who were elated by the Trump victory were able to express their happiness. Along with that, on the reverse, the university supported students who were upset and devastated by the results. Students were not only allowed, but encouraged to hold peaceful protests and demonstrations, and rally behind each other. There, standing outside with students was Associate Director of Intercultural Engagement and Inclusion, Gillian Atkinson. "Our work and events are not only important but essential," said Atkinson, "We want to make Hofstra a microcosm of the real world for students."

Hofstra makes sure to prepare incoming students for this type of inclusive environment as well, holding informational sessions about sexual assault, the LGBTQ community and culture, and the importance and relevance of a diverse campus at New Student Orientation over the summer. From the beginning, Hofstra students are taught how and encouraged to be tolerant and open-minded about people from all different cultures and identities. “The variety and amount of programming at Hofstra means there is something for everyone to be interested in and to relate to, which is really comforting,” says Jordan Johnston, a student at the university.