Embracing Simplicity

Embracing Simplicity

Doing absolutely nothing may be just what we need in our busy schedules.

20
Embracing Simplicity
Stacy Parker

As much as I love going all the time and having a million things to check off my to-do list, I also love slowing down and having absolutely nothing to do.

I, just like many college students, high school students, or working people get so caught up in the daily grind of things that I forget to slow down.

I am guilty when it comes to keeping my plate full, simply because I like having lots to do. It keeps me busy and occupied. When I have absolutely nothing to do, my mind starts to wonder and my anxiety starts to set in.

I recently had a fall break at the College of Charleston.

At first, my plans were to keep myself completely occupied for the long weekend, but then I canceled my plans and planned a much slower paced break. This slower paced break was exactly what I needed. I needed time to relax and not have a million things to do. I needed time to sleep in and spend the morning drinking a cup of coffee. I needed time to take a nap in the middle of the day.

The break was very much needed, and I found that slowing down actually filled me with the energy.

I know it is hard to take a second for yourself, but when we do not take a second to relax, we get burnt out. I urge you to try to find at least five minutes in your schedule each day to relax, maybe it is drinking a cup of coffee or listening to your favorite song on the way to work, but whatever it is, carve out time in your day to do just that.

I know life keeps us busy and always on our feet, but when we do not take time for ourselves, we neglect our needs.

As hard as it might be, spend a day doing absolutely nothing, and you may find it is exactly what you need.