Why You Shouldn't Think Too Hard
Nature Animals

Embrace The Spontaneous

After all… aren't the best memories the ones you least expect?

174
Embrace The Spontaneous

If you're anything like me, you like to have everything planned out. To the very last detail. You look forward to the future and consider what you're doing in an hour, tomorrow, or in a few months' time. If you're like me, you also like to stick to what is familiar. You trust what you know, and your routine rarely wavers.

Of course, this comes with a lot of benefits. You never have to worry about a messy schedule, and you rarely put unnecessary stress on yourself.

But on the flipside, there can be a lot of benefits to throwing all your reserves out the window and trying something spontaneous. You expose yourself to new experiences, and in turn, new memories can be created.

For someone who is as cautious and reserved like me, this can sound frightening. I get it. Doing things randomly is terrifying because there is always the chance that something can go wrong.

But what if things go right? What if you have an unforgettable day because something that you would usually say no to wound up being an amazing experience?

I'm literally writing this after buying a ticket to go see "The Lion King" on Broadway. It was a spur of the moment decision, one that I didn't give myself much time to think about. The date is squished between two of my midterms, yet I didn't let that hold me back from buying the ticket.

Maybe I won't have a good time. Maybe the weather will be awful, or there will be problems with the bus, or something else will disturb the show.

But maybe the show will be fantastic (as I've heard it is), and I'll have a wonderful day out in the city. And the reason it all happened was that I didn't think too hard about doing something I might enjoy.

I'm planning on studying abroad next semester. Fingers crossed it all goes well and I get into the program I'm applying for. But I also received notice of an opportunity to teach English in Spain this summer for a month, and my interest was piqued. I immediately started doing more research into the program.

Despite the fact that my Spanish is mediocre at best and the thought of being somewhere unfamiliar to me is daunting, I can't help how interested I am—and how much it could help my resume. Normally, I tend to gloss over these newsletter advertisements, considering them too far out of reach to consider seriously.

But I didn't.

And you shouldn't either.

I know being careful is the safe option, but sometimes it's fun to stray from the path a bit. You can admire the view and get a different perspective on nature. After all… aren't the best memories the ones you least expect?