11 Of The Most Embarrassing Mistakes Made By Your Servers Every Day

It’s like ranch has this ability to completely slip a server’s mind once it enters.

196
Instagram

Serving can be quite the trip. From working some long days on your feet, to having two or three days off completely. You make messes, you clean up other people’s messes, you might occasionally cry from laughter or disasters. If you’re a server, I know you can relate with a few of these most embarrassing server mistakes even though it may be difficult to admit it.

1. Walking in on an uncomfortable conversation.

Whether it be a prayer or some sort of family drama, I for one, can’t avoid this and it happens to be at least once a week. Unfortunately, you don’t see it coming until you literally are at the table and there’s no way to prevent it. This can result in uncomfortable stares or overly apologetic parents.

2. Forgetting the ranch they asked for 100 times.

Ah, another one that never fails. It’s like ranch has this ability to completely slip a server’s mind once it enters. Even when you go back to the table with another drink and more napkins, you still forget the freaking ranch.

3. Spilling a drink

Not just spilling a drink, spilling the drink on a family of 5 with 3 small children. And when you finally get it cleaned up, one of the kids spills another drink because they just saw you do it. You know, setting examples... or whatever.

4. Tripping

You could casually trip over your own feet, stumble, but catch yourself for a nice save. On the other hand, you could be carrying loads of empty plates, trip over someone’s chair and crash and burn in front of the dinner rush.

5. “Oh what a cute little guy!”

“…Yeah, SHE’S adorable…” *face palm*

6. Forgetting to greet a table.

The worst is noticing a table that’s been waiting for a while, but you don’t realize that they’re your table. “Hey who has table 82? ME?!” Then explaining to the table that 1, you’re an idiot or the classic 2, “Has your server been with you yet? No? Okay, I’m sorry for the wait. I’ll take care of you!”

7. Reaching for your pen in your apron, but retrieving a tampon instead

People think this stuff doesn’t actually happen, but unfortunately it does. This might quite possibly be the most embarrassing on the list.

8. Saying “Have a great night!” at 11 a.m.

Customers definitely think us servers are delusional when we do this. News flash, we are. We probably haven’t slept for 24 hours and are running on cold French fries. Honestly, I don’t know what time of day it is unless it’s closing time.

9. “I’m sorry, we don’t have that.”

Then, the customer points it out to you on the menu. Ok, I swear we didn’t have that yesterday…what even is that? Either way, there it is on the menu, here I am looking clueless.

10. When you can’t read your own hand writing.

Did the order chicken or a burger? Does that say no sauce or no soup? You’re just going to have to wing it.

11. Forgetting to order their appetizer

When you go to check on your table’s food and get the dreaded, “It’s fine, but we never got our appetizer.” Shit. Well sir, that’s because I never rang it in!

Making mistakes is okay as long as you aren’t intentionally hurting anyone in the restaurant (regardless of if you want to). Just kidding, I know we all enjoy some part of serving, because if we didn’t we wouldn’t do it!