7 Great Elton John Songs Not In "Rocket Man"

The latest in a series of music biopics was released this June with the life story of "Rocket Man."

But instead of being another paint-by-numbers rise and fall and redemption story of a iconic rockstar, the took Elton John's story with a spin and created a wonderful musical fantasy out of it.

Small inaccuracies and timeline inconsistencies were forgivable because it openly admits to being a imaginative tribute to one of the greatest singers and musicians of all-time.

What also made the movie brilliant was incorporating as many of Elton's classics as possible in telling his wild story. Even songs like "Candle in The Wind" and "Daniel" make brief cameo as small samples.

Unfortunately, not every great Elton John song could make the cut in a two hour movie, so I have the pleasure of showing you some other Elton hits you should check out!

1. "The Circle of Life" & "Can You Feel The Love Tonight"

For our generation, these might be the two songs we think about when we think of Elton John, or at least introduced us to him as a key contributor to the iconic soundtrack of The Lion King.

Sir Elton himself often performs these two classics in his concerts and his hit single versions were included in the original Lion King soundtrack.

2. "Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding"

The opening of track of arguably his masterpiece Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, this two-act song starts like a Pink Floyd song: surreal and psychedelic. It carries a tune akin to a funeral but also hits the big synthesizer notes of a psychedelic odyssey.

The pace finally picks up with mid-way to the fast "Love Lies Bleeding", a great rock song that sends Elton's Magnum Opus off to the races.

3. Someone Saved My Life Tonight

Spoiler if you haven't seen the movie, but one of the key scenes of "Rocket Man" is Elton's suicide attempt by diving into his backyard pool to drown, which also began the musical number of the titular song.

In actuality, Elton did attempt suicide but it was by putting his head in his oven. His lyricist and best friend Bernie Taupin saved him and this led to the creation of the song "Someone Saved My Life Tonight."

Knowing the circumstances behind the song, it's a beautiful tribute to Elton and Bernie's enduring friendship.

4. Philadelphia Freedom

If it weren't for the Rocky theme song "Gonna Fly Now", this would be the definitive anthem for the city of Philadelphia.

5. Levon

HE SHALL BE LEVONNNN

If only they could've made a character named Levon for the movie.

6. Lucy in The Sky with Diamonds

Ok, I know that "Lucy in The Sky with Diamonds" is a Beatles song and the definitive version of the tune will always be The Beatles, but remember that they show Elton singing his cover of The Who's Pinball Wizard in the movie. His cover of "Lucy" is pretty badass too.

Also I'm sorry to say that Elton John did not get the last name John from John Lennon as much as I wanted to believe it.

ALSO ELTON PLAYED THIS SONG AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN WITH JOHN LENNON.