I Relate More to the Villain Side of Elsa from “Frozen”

Elsa's Anger Doesn't Show A Villain, It Depicts The Struggles Of Mental Illnesses

Elsa may be the epitome of confidence, but she was also dangerous.

1100
https://www.deviantart.com/nerdydisney1085/art/Elsa-516725912

If you have lived under a rock since 2013 and haven't seen "Frozen," I recommend you don't read any further if you don't want spoilers.

Young girls look up to Elsa for a few primary reasons: her ice powers and her looks and her song "Let It Go." What little girl doesn't want powers or magic of some kind? Heck, what person wouldn't love to have some kind of power? I wouldn't mind some magic to help me through life.

To adults, Elsa's desire to protect her sister is held in great respect. Her realization that love is what controls her powers makes Elsa seem even nobler. Adults are also inspired by the song "Let It Go" giving Elsa quite a bit of hero worship from people of all ages.

There's so much to love about Elsa that people forget that she was the villain for most of the movie. After an accident as a child, Elsa hid herself away. She effectively isolated herself from her sister, leaving Anna confused and lonely. Elsa covered Arendelle in snow causing an eternal winter. She created a snow monster to keep people away from her. She froze Anna's head and heart on two separate occasions. Anna nearly died from Elsa freezing her heart.

Many adults clearly recognize that Elsa suffers from depression and anxiety. Her unstable mental health causes her powers to be volatile. These qualities are what I find most realistic about Elsa and what I relate to the most. Not her sisterly love or her calm temperament or even her confidence.

For the majority of the movie, Elsa was unable to restrain her powers due to her extreme negative emotions. Note that whenever she is confident or full of love she can command her magic. Out of control emotions = wild magic. Regulated emotions = mastered magic.

In one scene towards the middle of the movie, Anna finally reached Elsa and was attempting to reason with her older sister to come back to Arendelle. Elsa begged Anna to leave, saying, "Just stay away and you'll be safe from me." Anna then revealed that there was still snow in Arendelle. Elsa was in a state of disbelief, her fear steadily rising, especially when Anna said that Elsa could "just unfreeze it." The two go back and forth where Anna tried to calm Elsa, whose panic was getting out of control, shown by a blizzard circling around Elsa. Their argument ends when Elsa's anxiety and powers are released in a wave of ice, hitting Anna in the heart.

❅For the First Time in Forever ❅HD (Reprise) -Movie Scene Frozenwww.youtube.com

The part of that scene that always struck a chord with me was where Elsa, in the middle of her fear and despair, unintentionally lashes out on the one she loves most. I have found that whenever I am extremely afraid and angry at the same time, I will explode at someone either innocent and/or close to me, either in proximity and relation.

In the past, I can remember my hands shaking uncontrollably from the adrenaline and emotion that would just run rampant through my body. I felt possessed - like there was some sort of demon in my body that was forcing me to do things I didn't want to do. I was terrified of hurting someone, but couldn't bear being alone in those moments. All I wanted was for the "demon" to go away.

I can recall many times where I would use my words to tear someone apart. I would get defensive and provoke people - mostly those I loved. Somehow, I always knew just the right thing to say to make them go away… but not in a good way. I would say the most horrible things to them. People would leave me either because they were mad or hurt or afraid. I always knew just the right button to press to push people away.

The fear I would create in others, that never quite leaves. When you anger someone, you can both calm down and talk about it. When you hurt someone's feelings, you can bring food and apologize. But when someone fears you, nothing but time and proving you've changed will make that go away. But even then, there will always be some doubt that lingers. You can never make fear completely disappear.

I think Elsa felt similarly. She assumed the people of Arendelle were afraid of her once they found out about her ice powers. So she isolated herself so that they couldn't hurt her first. Even today I do this sometimes - I push people away right from the start to save myself the pain later when they inevitably leave me. Occasionally, I don't even bother getting to know people or put myself out there; it doesn't feel worth it.

But Elsa eventually realizes that she needs to let people in. The key to controlling her powers is by loving others and herself. Without her sister's love, the winter would have never ended and she would always feel out of control, possibly making her into a true villain.

Everybody needs true friends and unconditional love in their life - without it, your life will feel empty and chaotic with no purpose or direction. I am working on trying to be less self-sufficient and let people close to me. It may hurt at times, but even the pain is good for me to feel sometimes. It allows me to appreciate the good times even more.