Recruitment Was The Most Terrifying Yet Exciting Thing Ever

I Just Went Through Sorority Recruitment, And It Was The Most Terrifying Yet Exciting Thing Ever

"Trust the process."

352
Kate Tulenko

Disclaimer: this article is not meant to freak anyone out, it is a way for me to type away my feelings about the past couple days. The experience is different for everyone, so your rush experience will not go the exact way that mine did, and you may not have the same feelings that I did during the process.

I go to a small college and just went through recruitment, and it was great and scary all at the same time. You may be asking "Girl, what does that even mean???" so just hear me out.

Rush is stressful because not only are people judging you based off of one conversation they have with you, but you feel like you NEED these conversations to go well (which they do, but they'll go great without you stressing about them).

I learned that everyone going through recruitment is nervous, whether they are the ones asking questions or answering them.

It was really stressful because I had my heart set on this one sorority that EVERYONE I talked to LOVED and wanted to join. I kept thinking to myself "These people that want to join are so awesome, what if I'm not cool enough to be in it?" or "What if there are just better people than me that they want?"

Everyone kept saying how they thought they had great conversations at the different sororities but kept getting dropped from the ones they liked. This FREAKED ME OUT because I definitely didn't want this to happen to me (Honestly, who would?).

I thought that my conversations went well, so the fact that people thought the same thing and would get dropped made me think it was going to happen to me. Luckily, I never got dropped from the one I loved, and for that, I am incredibly thankful.

Though it was crazy and weird, I also had a really great time during rush. I love talking to people, so it was fun to get to know all kinds of girls that I never would have met if I didn't go through recruitment.

I met so many people that I am now super close with, which is a reason that I loved rush. And I know that thanks to this process, I am going to be friends with these people for the rest of my life.

And now, thanks to recruitment, I am a part of the best sorority ever with the best people in it. I have been a new member for a total of four days and I already love everyone and have met so many kind and genuine people, and I can't wait for the next four years!