Elizabeth Warren's Anti-Disinfo Plan Is Anti-Free Speech

Elizabeth Warren's Anti-Disinfo Plan Sounds Good At First, But It Sets An Anti-First Amendment Precedent

Elizabeth Warren will take away our first amendment right.

14

Last week, Elizabeth Warren revealed another one of her signature "plans," this time detailing a proposal to combat disinformation online. While that may sound good at first — there is a lot of information that is on the internet that is not true — it's not as simple as it sounds.

Warren's plan would impose "civil and criminal penalties for knowingly disseminating false information about when and how to vote in U.S. elections." As she said in a tweet, "Disinformation and online foreign interference erode our democracy, and Donald Trump has invited both." The Massachusetts Democrat continued, "Anyone who seeks to challenge and defeat Donald Trump in the 2020 election must be fully prepared to take this on — and I've got a plan to do it."

The fact is, if you use the internet at all, you will come across misinformation, everything from politics to fake celebrity deaths. This has been going on for years.

There are some reasonable things in Warren's plan. She says she will hold her campaign to high standards and not allow the dissemination of any "fake news" or misinformation.

But a lot of people are not going to really believe her after misrepresenting her ethnicity for years as a Native American. And she has made her own misleading claims during the debates, like saying that her "Medicare for all" plan would not raise taxes on the middle class when the plan is partially funded via a head tax.

But things get crazy with this portion of her plan labeled "Government actions to address disinformation." This is where Warren promises to "create civil and criminal penalties for knowingly disseminating false information about when and how to vote in U.S. elections."

In other words, she wants to criminalize the spread of information that the government deems to be false. This is a way for the government to take away our freedom of speech.

Her plan is unconstitutional and against the First Amendment and our freedom of expression. It is also an abuse of power.

So basically she is saying that if the government doesn't like what you are saying and that they deem inappropriate or false you could face jail time and a fine?

How is this right?

Some of these plans that they want to pass if they are elected president, are crazy and complete abuse of power, they are trying to take away peoples rights to express themselves online, that is why we have social media, it has been that way since social media came on the scene.

People really need to do a lot of research on these candidates before going out and voting for them, and this goes for anyone running for any government office no matter if they are Democrats or Republicans.

Just because what they say on TV doesn't always mean what they are going to do, so do your research before voting.