What Happens To The Elderly?

What Happens To The Elderly?

It is sad to say that sometimes elders are easily forgotten.

87
What Happens To The Elderly?

Many elders are suffering the effects of being lonely and abandoned. It may be harsh just to think about this, but it's completely devastating for those that actually experience it.

Yesterday, my mom and I took a relative to the hospital.

About an hour and half later, a woman entered the emergency room. She seemed very nice at first glance and we began to see more and more of her charming personality as we started talking to her. She told us she was 93 years old - we couldn't believe it - we were in awe of how young she looked and how pretty she was.

When the nurse came in, she asked the elderly lady why she had tried to jump off the balcony. From that moment on, I was in pure shock. I had never known someone who had tried to commit a life threatening act of violence on themselves. My joy turned into raw disbelief.

However, as I sat pondering, it became increasingly clear why she had tried to do this - loneliness affected her emotional stability and caused her depression. From living all alone, as she had, one can develop serious physical and mental ailments. But, like with anything, there is something we can do to STOP this.

In our hands lay all types of opportunities to help the elderly who often live alone and without the attention and affection that they need.

Here are some things we can do:

1. Make a call.

Sometimes, one spends more than sufficient time on the phone. From that time, you can use a couple of minutes or as much as you'd like to make someone happy. If there is a very strong reason why you don't feel like you want to call that person, remember that life is ephemeral and the best thing that you can do as a being is to leave hostilities in the past. We are prisoners of time since we can only move towards the future. Our time is valuable and counted. Don't let bad experiences or conflicts affect your emotions and your mercy towards that person that needs affection.

Love with all your heart, and give the person another opportunity if it is conflict that separates both your hearts. Realize, that the worst thing that can happen is that the elder will not want to talk with you, but that is rather rare. The majority of elderly people need love and want to be cared for. They need your time and your affection towards them and don't wish to feel like a nuisance.

Make that call that will change a life. Your call will brighten their day and remind them that they are loved, they are valuable, and they are very important - something people always want to hear.

2. Make some time to visit.

An awesome thing you can do is visit. It gives you the chance to talk to them in person and provide them with company. Visiting the elderly can help to make sure that they don't experience the harsh effects of a possible social isolation. It will remind that they are LOVED and that they are IMPORTANT.

3. Send letters.

If you haven't had the time to visit, send a letter that they will forever treasure. Always remember how saddening it can be to live in complete loneliness, whether they're battling depression or are simply forgotten in their advanced age. A letter shows how much they do really mean to you, how important they are, and how they are not forgotten. Love is the most powerful emotion human kind possesses, and it is vital that we reflect it.

At last, there are many things you can do to show love and affection to the elderly. They need it, and amidst all the craziness we may face in our fast paced lives, they shall not be 'the forgotten generation.' Elders represent the wisdom of our society, the experience, the heart-warming representation of a civilization with historic effects that passed, and left traces of knowledge in hopes of bettering the future - our future.

🌺Poem🌺

"Darling, I am growing old,

Silver threads among the gold,

Shine upon my brow today,

Life is fading fast away.

But, my darling, you will be,

Always young and fair to me,

Yes, my darling, you will be

Always young and fair to me. "

Sung by Richard Jose in 1903

-1/3/17@857pm