8 Things I Learned On My Disney College Program That Still Hold True Years Later

Where the magic, memories and life lessons are endless.

477
Matt Popovich

My Facebook Memories recently reminded me that I graduated from my Disney College Program more than four years ago. As I sat there and reflected upon the amount of time that has gone by since my program end date in August 2013, I realized that that was one of the craziest, most life-changing, learning opportunities I've experienced.

And I wouldn't change that experience for the world.

If you haven't heard of the Disney College Program, it's a semester-long internship where college-aged students from all over the country come to work at the Disney parks and resorts located in Orlando, Florida and Anaheim, California. Roles vary from hotel operations, transportation, merchandise to even character performers.

Now everyone has their own reasoning for a pursuing a career with the Walt Disney Company. Mine was inevitable since I was a third generation cast member, and grew up with a trip to the Walt Disney World Resort every three weeks or so until I was more than six years old.

After beginning my college career, I got to the point in school where I needed to make the life-altering decision of picking a major. Much like any 19-year-old college student, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted it to be.

That's when I knew it was time to void all my responsibilities (so I thought) and move to the most magical place on Earth for seven months.

During those seven months, which were filled with ups and downs, I learned more about life and myself than I ever would have if I just picked a major and skipped on this opportunity. I would have been a very out-of-the-loop 22-year-old graduate without my Disney College Program.

Even though four years have passed, I realize there were life lessons I learned on my Disney College Program that are still relevant to my everyday life and career. Here are eight life lessons I learned on my Disney College Program that still hold true today:

1. Don't rush through it.

The number one thing I learned on my college program was that I shouldn't rush through anything.

I mean this in a "never waste a moment" capacity. You are working in the most magical place in the world, and creating unforgettable memories for yourself and park guests--you will be surprised at how fast time flies.

Whether it was a working shift, a day off or an extended staycation, every moment on the program should be just as special to you as it is to the guests that are visiting, because one day you will blink and it will all be over.

I remember the first time a small guest asked me to sign their autograph book and take a picture with them. But I also remember how special it was when I closed the park for the first time at a ridiculous hour in the morning and stood in the glow of Cinderella Castle with no one else around.

Since my program I realized that internships, relationships, vacations, school, graduation, jobs, etc., actually go by a lot faster than you think. I treasure every day and every experience now because you never know what's going to happen next.

2. Try New Things.

It's okay to get out of your comfort zone. Just ask Darth Vader.

Working at Disney opens up a lot of doors for fun, new and exciting things you might have never been exposed to. Want to take your first cruise? Maybe travel to the other side of the United States to visit the sister park? Run your first marathon? Disney can offer all of that.

I had so many opportunities working at Disney to try new foods and travel all over the state. Moving to a new state for a new job is the hardest part, if you can do that, you can do anything.

Always say yes to something new. I adopted this philosophy this past year and I can say it was an amazing decision. I have experienced new places, music and hobbies. It helps me figure out what I like and don't like, plus I never get FOMO.

3. Be open to learning about other cultures.

It's a small world after all...

One of the greatest parts about working for a global company is all the different cultures you get to experience through other cast members and guests.

You will be working alongside, and living with people from all over the world. HOW COOL IS THAT? Attempt to learn another language, learn how to say hello and other common phrases, try new foods, learn how to cook a different meal or plan a trip to a new country you've never been to before. All of this can help better your understanding of park guests from other countries so you can create special memories for them.

Even afterward, I always strive to learn as much as I can about other cultures. You never know what part of the world a job might lead you to or where your future co workers are from.

4. Going the extra mile makes a difference.

Whether a guest needs the last Elsa dress from across the park and it's pouring down rain, or your manager needs you to extend your shift, going the extra mile at Disney doesn't go unnoticed.

As you progress in a career it's easy to recognize what the top employees do to grow in their profession and that's going the extra mile, even when no one is around to see. Striving to perform to the best of your ability will only help grow your skill-set and people will take notice of your continuous hard work.

Did I hear you say "promotion?" Yes, please.

5. Hold yourself accountable.

Did you accidentally freeze all of Arendelle and run away? Even if you did, I bet you held yourself accountable to unfreeze it. All jokes aside, holding yourself accountable for your work and actions is important.

At Disney, it was my job to make sure my fellow cast members had what they needed for success. Sometimes that was making sure the cash wraps were stocked with bags and ponchos and making sure there was enough pixie dust to go around.

Don't worry, leadership and fellow cast members are always happy to help, but understanding that you are responsible for you and your actions only helps you as you begin navigating careers and personal and professional relationships.

6. Be on time.

It seems obvious, but you realize that there are hundreds of cast members that are depending on you to be on time for work so they can leave and get their breaks on time.

Punctuality is vital to your professional success, whether it's an important meeting or networking lunch, being on time shows that you care and are a true professional.

7. Network. All. The. Time.

The best thing you can do for yourself and your career on the Disney College Program, especially if you have any interest in coming back to the company, is network. On the Disney College Program you are exposed to a wide-variety of fields and leadership, not just in the workplace, but they also create special seminars for you to attend and meet people from all divisions of the company. I had the opportunity to meet people that are in operations, Imagineering, creative roles and human resources.

After the Disney College program the best thing you can do for yourself and your career is network. You never know who somebody knows.

8. Just because there isn't pixie dust doesn't mean life isn't magical.

Trust me, it's hard to leave a place like Disney World and go back to a reality where people think it's weird to smile when delivering bad news, pointing with two fingers and asking people for their autographs at a cash register. But just because you might not be living at the most magical place on Earth anymore doesn't mean you can't carry the magic with you into every aspect of your life.

Take the Disney state-of-mind with you. Always be happy. Treasure every moment, experience, relationship, friendship, learning and opportunity. Plus, you can always take a vacation if you ever feel like you're running a little low on pixie dust.

At the end of my program. I had to accept that I just lived the most magical seven months of my life. I figured out my career goals, made lifelong friendships and ate an excessive amount of Mickey-shaped foods.

I thought I would never experience something so amazing again...at least until I landed another job with Disney, but more on that later.