All 8 Tarantino Movies: Ranked Worst To Best

Quentin Tarantino is one of the most influential filmmakers of our time.

1995
Wallpaper Cave

This past March, I saw Pulp Fiction for the first time and absolutely loved it. So this past summer, I took it upon myself to watch the other seven films directed by Quentin Tarantino. Every single one blew my mind in a totally different way. So here's my definitive ranking of all eight of them. Note: these rankings are based more so on entertainment value rather than writing or directorial style. Also, none of these movies are at all bad. I recommend all of them. Just some are better than others. Lastly, all these reviews are spoiler-free!

8. "Death Proof"

Death Proof is Tarantino’s self-professed worst film. You’ll often find it at the bottom of any articles ranking his movies. That being said, it is far from a bad movie. Much like many of Tarantino’s other works, the second half is far better than the first half. The story follows a homicidal stuntman who regularly uses his “death proof” car as a means of killing women. The first half follows one set of women he stalks while the second half follows a new set. The first half is bogged down by seemingly aimless dialogue and lots of dry character interactions. However, the second half’s characters are much more engaging and the movie’s ending is very satisfying and keeps you at the edge of your seat until the credits roll.

7. "Jackie Brown"

If you love strong female characters, Jackie Brown is the movie for you. This one is more of a drama than an action or thriller, but it is still very entertaining. It has its dry moments but again, the ending is absolutely solid. The titular character, Jackie Brown, finds herself in the middle of a conflict between a notorious gangster, played by Samuel L. Jackson, and the FBI. Although I’m pretty sure this movie fails the Bechdel test, Jackie is always the smartest person in the room and it definitely shows.

6. "Reservoir Dogs"

Reservoir Dogs, Tarantino’s first film, is sometimes hailed as his best. Although I enjoyed the film, I didn’t see it that way. The story follows a group of robbers after their heist goes terribly wrong due to miscommunication and a betrayal. A significant portion of the movie is spent trying to figure out which of them is secretly a cop. Very little happens as far as plot is concerned and I would classify this film as more of a character study. There’s nothing wrong with that, but in my opinion, movies like this often take a hit as far as entertainment value is concerned. As usual, however, the ending is superb with a good old fashioned Mexican standoff and an arguably ambiguous finish.

5. "The Hateful Eight"

The Hateful Eight, Tarantino’s most recent film is a prime example of a Tarantino film with “Second Half is Better Than First Half” Syndrome. It follows two bounty hunters and a group of six other people who find themselves stranded in a cabin one night. The first half is used to acquaint us with the characters but as a result, there’s a lot of seemingly aimless dialogue. This is a trademark of the Tarantino style that I don’t care for but I’ve learned to get over. However, the second half picks up when conflicts boil over with the eight people and they all start killing each other. This may be my all-time favorite performance from Samuel L. Jackson, and as usual, the ending is remarkable.

4. "Pulp Fiction"

There is no doubt in my mind that Pulp Fiction is Tarantino’s most well-written film. He writes such complex characters and pulls off a degree of non-linear storytelling that I can only hope to pull off one day. That being said, it does take some time before it all finally starts to make sense and as a result, it takes a hit as far as entertainment value goes. Again Samuel L. Jackson puts forward a superb performance as do John Travolta, Bruce Willis, and Uma Thurman. This movie is tough to summarize because of how many plot threads there are, but basically, four stories are told from the perspective of multiple characters that seem to be unrelated at first but all intersect in the end. It follows two mobmen, a boxer, a mobman’s wife, and two diner thieves. It’s definitely worth a watch, just be patient. It’ll all make sense eventually.

3. "Inglourious Basterds"

Inglorious Basterds was a fun one. I’m not sure how else to put it. Brad Pitt’s performance as Lt. Aldo Raine and Christoph Waltz’s performance as the Jew Hunter were both excellent. Again, this movie has multiple plot threads that all come together in the end. Essentially, Hitler and all of his high ranking Nazis are scheduled to attend a movie premiere one night and a group of American Jewish soldiers, led but Lt. Aldo Raine decide this is the perfect opportunity to take him out. Little do they know, the Jewish owner of the theater, with a personal vendetta, is planning the same thing. Relatively engaging all throughout, and again having a fantastic ending, Inglorious Basterds is worth multiple viewings honestly.

2. "Kill Bill"

Kill Bill is another one for all my people who love strong female characters. Uma Thurman’s character, The Bride, is so incredibly fierce and tenacious that all you can do is cheer for her as she gets revenge for the murdering of her friends and family. This movie has some of the best action sequences I’ve ever seen as well as a gloriously absurd amount of blood and gore.It was so good, I watched both parts back to back. The ending to Volume 1 had me running around in circles shouting “Awww s***! Awww s***!”. I actually did this; luckily, no one was home. Any who, this is definitely one of my favorite revenge stories and will definitely have you on the edge of your seat from start to finish.

1. "Django Unchained"

For obvious reasons, Django Unchained was particularly cathartic for me. It follows the story of a former slave turned bounty hunter who sets out to rescues his wife from her slave master with the help of his friend. Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Samuel L. Jackson, and Leonardo Dicaprio all play their roles extremely well and the story is spellbinding from start to finish. The ending is so incredibly satisfying and bad*** that every so often I’ll just find that clip on YouTube and watch it a few times. The characters are multi-faceted and engaging, the action is marvelous, and the cinematography is mesmerizing. If you ask me, Django Unchained is Quentin Tarantino at his best.