Eight Lives

Eight Lives

You have the opportunity to give the gift of life, not only one life, but eight.

8
Eight Lives
www.concorde.edu

One major decision each of us is faced with at some point or another in our lives is whether or not to register as an organ donor. This is a very important decision for each of us. Deciding whether or not to become an organ donor not only has an effect on our life and those around us, but it has the ability to save up to eight other lives. Lung transplants often help patients who have emphysema, pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis or pulmonary hypertension. Heart transplants can help patients who have cardiomyopathy, congenital heart disease or coronary artery disease. Liver transplants are useful in helping patients with hepatitis or biliary atresia. Kidney transplants help patients who have been diagnosed with diabetes, hypertension or polycystic kidney disease. Pancreas transplants can also help people who have been diagnosed with diabetes. Those are just a few of the major organs that can be donated, and a couple of the main reasons someone may be in need of a transplant. More than 120,000 people in the United States are currently on a waiting list to receive an organ. A name is continuously added to that waiting list approximately every 10 minutes. That is a little crazy to think about, right? Some of the main concerns that I have heard people mention about organ donation is, doctors won’t work as hard to save my life if they know I am registered as an organ donor. Celebrities or people with a lot of money can move up on the waiting list quicker than everyone else on the waiting list, and lastly, my family will be charged if I donate my organs. All of these statements are common myths of organ donation and are far from the truth. A story that touched my heart recently was one I accidentally stumbled upon while doing research for a project. It was a story about a mom who lost her 7 month old son named, Lukas. She decided to donate his organs in hopes of saving someone else’s life, and she did just that. Her decision to donate her sons organs saved the life of a 4-year-old girl who was born with a congenital heart defect. Doctors said her only hope for survival was a heart transplant. To me, there is no greater gift than being able to save the life of someone else. How great is it that you can actually give someone the gift of life. This big question of whether or not to become an organ donor is normally asked when setting up your driver’s license, but you can also register online and include it into your advance directives. You have the opportunity to give the gift of life, not only one life, but eight.