Effects Of Styling On Hair

Effects Of Styling On Hair

Heat, Hair Loss, Build Up

216
Effects Of Styling On Hair
Artur Chalyj

Websites like Pinterest and YouTube have made it much more easier to play with our hair and try out complex (or not so complex) styles, with minimum effort. To achieve these looks we buy tools that make our hair curly or straight and products to keep those styles in place, but do we think about the effect all this styling has on our hair?

Heat

Heat styling is one of the easiest ways to get a fresh new look within seconds. So many tools exist today to help us create our favorite styles; like wands, tongs, straighteners etc. We very easily use them without a second thought, but do we think about what it does to our hair?

Heat styling can be very bad for hair if you aren't cautious. Many times people who use heat on their hair every day struggle with breakage, or they complain that their hair looks dead. But don't worry! You don't have to say goodbye to heat styling, many fantastic products exist to protect hair from heat. Some of these products will even help your hair with the styling process. Make sure to use a trustworthy product and you can go crazy (within limits).

It is also important to use a good styling aid on your hair. Make sure that the tool isn't too hot (185'C or 365'F is the ideal temperature for styling hair). I used to think that the hotter the tool was the better the result; boy was I wrong! It is good to think of what you can bake in the oven at those temperatures, like would you want to expose your hair to the same temperature you roast a chicken at?

Another VERY important thing to remember is: NEVER use a heat styling tool in wet/damp hair. NEVER! This results in bubble hair (lumpy, brittle hair) and causes steam which can burn your fingers or scalp.

Hair Loss

When we put our hair into tight ponytails or braids it is very easy to over sensitize the hair, causing breakage or even hair loss. You can damage your hair follicles if you put too much stress on it, which can lead to hair loss. Remember to let your hair rest, and use an elastic that doesn't damage the hair.

It is recommended to put your hair into a loose braid when sleeping as it won't put too much stress on the hair. (Also if your hair is kind of damp you'll wake up with lovely waves the next morning!)

Build-Up

Using too much product will lead to buildup on your hair. It might not seem like a big deal, and it isn't too serious, but it does make your hair look too gritty and gross. It will also cause a smelly steam when using heat.

Try to wash with a clarifying shampoo at least once a month. Another method to remove build-up (and a personal favorite) is Baking Soda. Mix one teaspoon soda with a pump of shampoo and wash your hair. It will feel a little weird at first but after the second wash (with just shampoo) you will notice an immediate result. Hair feels softer and looks shiny.

You don't have to be afraid to style your hair though. If you use good tools and products and you give your hair a nice mask or treatment once in a while you should be fine. Just try to remember that hair isn't some magical thing that will go back to its original state, but if you use the correct products it sure will feel like it.

Keep being gorgeous!