Why Education Has Lost It's Charm

Why Education Has Lost It's Charm

And We're All to Blame

6
Why Education Has Lost It's Charm
WSU

My k-12 school experience has changed drastically from the beginning to what is becoming its end. I used to be the one dubbed “Destined for great things” and, “Going places” in school. Teachers I had early on saw great potential for success and a passion for learning that seemingly could not be hindered. An unbroken spirit and unwavering love for education. Somehow I have transformed into the student that dreads the idea of waking up and spending another day at school. Not daring to fake sick out of fear of falling behind. A thing that I once adored has become something that I do between weekends.

The education system begins with an exciting leap into the world of knowledge and insight. Suddenly there are numbers higher than the ten you can count to on your fingers and when you mix colors they make new colors and there are more animals than the ones you see on early morning television and the world is a new and exciting place. Hands can’t shoot up fast enough in class and the teacher has to ask that you please not shout out the answer so everyone has a chance to figure it out. Then years go by and one day no hands go up. Students look at one another expectantly, knowing someone has to give in and call out the answer. The enthusiasm for learning we all once had has been lost and won’t be found again for a long time.

The education system takes the wonderful concept of learning and does something awful with it. Wrong answers can bring ridicule from both peer and teacher, and the joy of finding the solution is overtaken by the fear of being mocked. Students are expected to delve further into and excel in subjects they have no interest in; teachers are expected make pupils love things they have taken a decided stance against. Hours of schoolwork are followed by hours of homework in some attempt to prepare us for the looming timed exam that we inevitably will not understand nor succeed in. Student and teacher alike count down until the moment they get to leave, whether the break is for hours or days it brings a much needed relief from the somehow simultaneously overstressed and hopeless atmosphere.

Despite all this, I have high hopes for college. What a wonderful time it will be to study mostly where my interests lie. To have a financial investment that solidifies my commitment to furthering my education. These feelings are consistent with other people leaving for university soon, so many entranced with the idea of finally, finally, being able to make our own schedules and learn more about the things that actually pertain to our interests and where we believe our lives are headed. Where we want them to be headed. Taking the first step towards being able to do what we love for the rest of our lives. The jump to college renews the great potential for success and passion for learning I believe we all once had, I just hope this time it will stick around.