Why I Chose to be an Education Major

Why I Chose to be an Education Major

Stop putting us all down! There's a reason we chose such a 'lame' career path...

7
Why I Chose to be an Education Major

I came in my first semester of college as a Biology major in a Pre-Dental program. I spent long and hard hours studying for tests I never did well on, and I inevitably lost all of my interest in biology as a whole. I was fed up so I withdrew from that course and the major as a whole before it started to effect my GPA. I changed my major to English and Education instead. Many people ask me why I would ever go from biology to English and how that even happened. The truth is, I like challenging my thinking instead of retaining specific information. I knew myself too well to continue on as a biology major. Now to all the people that put down education majors and say there's no money in the field this is what I have to say:

1. I will be happy with my job

I will not spend my days in a lab. I will spend my days laughing, being surrounded by young people. I will be helping students create themselves in all aspects. That, means more than money to me.

2. Being surrounded by young people will keep me young

Something about a desk job makes me cringe. I know they're not all the same, but I feel that being surrounded by different people all the time just makes you a happier person all around (depending if you're a people person or not).

3. I can find a job virtually anywhere

For all of you who say I won't be able to find a job, I'd like to inform you that public schools are ALL OVER THE PLACE, like seriously no matter where you are in the United States, YOU ARE IN A SCHOOL DISTRICT, WHERE THERE ARE SCHOOLS. Just because I'm from Long Island where competition is high, does not mean I want to teach or live on Long Island. Seriously, case closed.

4. Teaching people is important

Just because the pay isn't high, doesn't mean it isn't an important position. Education is very much relevant and necessary in our society. How did you get where you are in life? I'm sure a teacher helped you get there. Stop undermining teachers, it is insulting to both you and your teachers.

5. I will progressively learn throughout the rest of my career

The interesting thing about being in education, is that every day is different, every student is different, every year is different. As a teacher it is important to constantly learn more of not only the content in which you are teaching, but of your students. Students and people in general have a lot to offer in experiences. Having a new group of them each year for the rest of your career is beneficial to your experience as a whole as well.

6. I will have the best stories

Can't say I haven't had a teacher that didn't have a good story to share about teaching yet. Those stories are always so entertaining. I can't wait to have my own. Kids are funny.